Everyday Mom's Meals: Pasta, Okay Now What
_____

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pasta, Okay Now What

If your family enjoys a good pasta dish as much as mine, then maybe you find yourself in the same dilemma as I do each time one goes on my meal plan. What to have with it. Sure, I can make a simple side salad, or even my Easy Caesar Salad, or garlic bread, but with as much pasta as we eat (I try to limit it to once per week though) the side dish can become a little tiresome. I have a bazillion (yes, that is a number) pasta dishes, just not an equal amount of sides to go with them. So a few weeks ago when I was baking yet another pasta creation, I decided since I had some extra time on my hands I was going to come up with something new. Now it wasn't that I needed the time to make it (this comes together in about 10 minutes) but instead I needed those extra minutes to figure out just what it was going to be. I knew I had some yummy fresh veggies left from the Farmer's Market in the crisper, so salad was definitely at the top of my list. Then in the cupboard I found some white cannellini beans. Presto!! I knew exactly what my plan was, and was on my way to a brand new side dish for any pasta night. Use the beans as the base, and then add in any veggies you like~the sky is the limit. For all you fellow pasta addicts out there, garlic bread is okie dokie with me (we love bread to), but if you want something new, give this a try the next time it's Italian night at your house!

White Bean Salad
2 (15oz) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained well
1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
1 c. grape tomatoes, halved
1/3 c. diced red onion
1 small green pepper, seeded and diced
1/4 c. real bacon bits
1/2 c. Italian dressing
Salt and Pepper to taste
Dried Parsley, for garnish

In a medium bowl combine beans and all veggies. Stir well. Add bacon bits and dressing. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley. Chill until serving. Serve with a slotted spoon.


Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Sept. 20, 2012
Shared on The Country Cook Sept. 21, 2012
Beans at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

No comments: