Everyday Mom's Meals: Second Time's A Charm
_____

Friday, January 6, 2012

Second Time's A Charm

That's right...it took 2 tries to get this dish onto the blog and shared with you! Some of you probably read on Facebook my total failure the first go round, when after being distracted helping Alex with something, I burned these to the point my pot was black on the bottom and I really thought it was ruined. Thankfully, Mr. Everyday is a whiz with a SOS pad and with some elbow grease was able to revive it. Whew....that was a close one. 

I was upset about the pot, but also about the dish, because up until the point they became "blackened" style, they were smelling good! These are a favorite of Alex's at Cracker Barrel and I thought it was about time I found a way to recreate them at home. Because of sneaking bites of his so many times, I had a pretty good idea of what I needed to put in them, but was lucky enough to find another recipe on A Nut In A Nutshell that backed up all my theories. Alex said they tasted just like the original and from now on, these are the only Lima beans I'm permitted to make. (Shhh....don't tell him, but I was thinking the same thing!)

Country Style Lima Beans 
14 oz. frozen Lima beans
1 (14 oz.)  can chicken broth, plus 1/2 can water
1 TBS butter
1 TBS sugar
6 pieces of bacon, cooked and chopped
1/2 tsp onion powder
Salt and pepper to taste

In a pot over medium heat, combine frozen beans, broth, water, butter, sugar, onion powder, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add bacon, and simmer for 15-20 minutes until beans are tender. Remove from liquid w/ a slotted spoon and adjust salt and pepper.







Shared on The Country Cook Jan. 6, 2012




4 comments:

The Country Cook said...

I love me some lima beans. Great recipe Krista!! Thank you so much for linking up!!

Unknown said...

This is SO flippin' good. I used a bigger bag of beans - I can't remember if it was 24 or 32 oz. - doubled everything but the sugar and bacon and it was fabulous. Can't wait to make this again. Great recipe.

mmrainey said...

Krista can these be done in the instapot i love lima beans and would love to cook them

Krista said...

I don't own one, so I can't say for sure, but I would think if you can cook other veggies in one, you could do these too!