Everyday Mom's Meals: Daddy's Request
_____

Friday, December 13, 2013

Daddy's Request

Reading that title did you think maybe Mr. Everyday was asking for something special and Monkey helped me make it? Well, that does happen in our house, a lot, but in this case, I'm not talking about my baby daddy...but instead my Daddy.

That's right, I'm 32 and I still call him Daddy. Always have, always will! Sure he's a father. And yep, a dad too. But to me, his little girl, he will forever be Daddy.

About a month ago, he was telling me about this dish he had at a buffet while out on the road. (For those of you who don't know, he's an over the road truck driver.) Cris-crossing the country on a weekly basis tends to lead to him trying to find decent food at decent prices that isn't always fast food, and tastes like home cooking when he can.

So anyway, he told me he had this amazingly yummy dish and wanted me to try to recreate it. Now, I was waiting for something I would have to really research and find a recipe for. But instead, he started describing something I think has graced most American's dinner tables at one point. Poor Daddy. Sometimes he lives such a sheltered life. LOL Okay, so that isn't true. What is true is that some of the ingredients in a standard version, and this one too, are things my mom can't eat, hence why he's never had it at home. I told him I would try to come up with my own recipe and see if I could re-create a close match to have.

The week of Thanksgiving I made this for our supper, and actually took him a bowl of leftovers when we celebrated with them. Well, it was kinda late, he had had a big meal, and dessert, but I still wanted him to taste it while I was there. So, my mom heated up a small dish for him to try. Well....let's just say that small dish turned into a bigger bowl, and he finished off the entire thing before we left! Yep, it was a hit! He declared it "delicious" and "absolutely what he was looking for." In fact, he loved it so much he made me promise to make him a couple to freeze and have on hand for simple suppers when my mom isn't home.

Ya'll know how much I love casseroles, and this is definitely going to become a staple in our house. See, what I didn't tell you yet, was Daddy was lucky to get the bowl he did because my "boys" were fighting over the dish as soon as it came out of the oven! They could not get enough and loved every bite.

This is a great simple weeknight supper, or pot-luck dish! It can freeze and travel well, and feed a crowd for pretty cheap! I'm so glad my Daddy enjoyed what I came up with for him; and I'm also grateful he requested it in the first place, because look at the yummy creation it lead to!

Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole
1 package chicken tenders
1 (12 oz.) bag frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 c. cooked rice
1/4 c. butter, diced
1 c. milk
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
1 small onion, chopped
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375. Arrange chicken tenders on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes until done. Remove and set aside to cool enough to handle. When cool, chop or shred.  Reduce oven to 350.

In a large bowl combine cooked chicken, rice, broccoli, cheese, milk, soups, onion, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine. Spray a 9x13 dish with cooking spray. Pour chicken and rice mixture into dish and spread evenly. Top with diced butter. Bake for 30-45 minutes until heated through and cheese is melted. Stir before serving.






Shared on The Country Cook Dec. 13, 2013



33 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks like the perfect comfort food dish. What size is the chicken tenders package? Dawn

Krista said...

Hi Dawn! I call it a "regular" size one. I think it's usually 1.5 lbs. hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I buy chicken tenders in 3 lb. bags and was thinking that would be way too much chicken. Dawn

Anonymous said...

Would brown rice work

Krista said...

It sure would!!

Anonymous said...

I make this EXACT recipe minus the cream of mushroom, and have been for years! I use florets instead of chopped broccoli and add a bit of minced garlic to the mix before I bake it. The garlic adds a world of flavor. Powder also works if you don't have fresh garlic :). Sometimes I make it on the stove top and not bother baking it, and other times I put crushed Ritz crackers all over the top and put the cubed butter on top of those. DELICIOUS!

Anonymous said...

I really want to make this tonight, but the recipe calls for "cooked" rice and in a comment you mention you put dry rice in and let it cook in the casserole...I'm confused. Thanks.

Krista said...

Hi there! You cook the rice ahead of time. I'm not sure how, but that comment was actually meant for another recipe, and somehow ended up here. Thanks for catching it! It's pre-cooked :)

Anonymous said...

ugh oh...mine's in the oven with uncooked rice. I covered with foil but didn't think there was enough liquid to cook the rice....hmmm....what to do...

Krista said...

I'm sorry I answered as quick as I could. If you used instant rice you might be okay. If it's regular rice I'm afraid it's not going to work.

Anonymous said...

I added a little water, covered with foil and cooked an extra 30 minutes or so and it's perfect...whew! Saved dinner! Next time I'll go with my instincts! :) Not your fault, btw!

Krista said...

Oh good!! I'm glad you got it to work :)

Anonymous said...

So if I use uncooked instant rice it will cook in the casserole? Also..on the chicken tenders ..do you use the unbreaded tenders?

Krista said...

No the rice has to be pre cooked. Instant works fine. The chicken tenders are the ones found in the fresh case, next to the boneless chicken breasts. Yes they are unbreaded. Hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

Are you supposed to cook two cups of rice? Or use two two cups of cooked rice because two cups of cooked rice doesn't seem like enough

Anonymous said...

Are you suppose to cook two cups of rice or just use two cups of cooked rice because two cups of cooked rice doesn't seem like enough.

Krista said...

I measure out 2 cups & cook it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi just curious does the rice need any time to cool if its precooked before throwing it in the oven with everything else? just wondering it it'll turn to mush if the precooked rice is still warm and you throw it in the oven.

And if you are using fresh broccoli florets can those be thrown in raw?

Thanks! hoping to make this tonight :)

Krista said...

If I were using fresh I would blanch it first for a few minutes. The rice doesn't have to cool but I will tell you I use "real" rice not instant which holds up a little better and doesn't become mushy. Hope this helps :)

Anonymous said...

hi. This looks delish! Making it for dinner tonight. I make my own cream of mushroom soup but have not come across a good recipe to replace cream of chicken. I try to stay away from overly processed foods. If I leave out the cream of chicken you think it will make a difference in the flavor? Also I wanted to share the best and quickest roasted chicken recipe you and your followers. It will be great in this casserole. 3-4 skinless boneless chicken breast. In a bowl mix 1/4 cup canola oil and 1tbsp soy sauce. mix well and cover chicken in oil mixture. season both sides with cavenders seasoning. pour remaining oil and soy sauce mixture In a cast iron skillet or one you can pop in the oven, brown chicken on both sides, a couple minutes on each side. Then pop in a 350 degree preheated oven bake 20 minutes on one side then flip chicken over on its other side and bake an additional 20 minutes. I sweat its the best chicken ever!!! dice it up and use in this recipe or ontop of a salad. Endless uses.

Krista said...

You could leave out the cream of chicken, but add more of your cream of mushroom to keep consistency :)

Unknown said...

Just to clarify, you use 2 cups of uncooked rice, cook it, then put all of that into the mixture? Thank!

Krista said...

Hi Hilary, yes! Cook the 2 cups of rice and then mix it in. I even like to make it earlier in the day so it's waiting on me when I'm ready. Hope this helps!

Unknown said...

If I use the broccoli in the bag do I have to steam them first?

Krista said...

Hi Lameesha! If you are using ANY kind of frozen broccoli, simply thaw it in a colander before using!

Anonymous 87 said...

I super late but can you use chicken breast instead ?

Anonymous 87 said...

Will chicken breast work

Krista said...

Absolutely!

Anonymous said...

Can you leave chicken out and if you do, do you need to make any other adjustments?
Thanks, Becky

Anonymous said...

Hi can you make this without chicken and if so what adjustments have to be made? Thanks!

Unknown said...

Does it need to be cooked in oven covered or uncovered?

Krista said...

Uncovered