Everyday Mom's Meals: State Fair Casserole
_____

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

State Fair Casserole

With the long, cold, snowy days of winter still torturing us (I'm sorry, but after over 50 inches of snow since the beginning of the year, 11 snow days off school, days of -40 wind chills, cars not starting, cars getting stuck, shoveling and shoveling again...that is how I feel...tortured!) one of the only ways I can find to comfort myself is day dreaming about warm summer days gone bye, or the ones still yet to come...I hope...if this torturous winter ever ends.

So when my son looked at me a couple weeks ago and declared "Mommy, I'm hungry for corn dogs." I couldn't blame him. They are one of our favorite summer time treats because we enjoy them at some of our favorite festivals and fairs through the season. With all the yummy treats that await us at every "junk food alley" we visit, 9 times out of 10 one of us will always choose a corn dog at some point. And for him, it's usually five minutes after we hit the gates of our own Indiana State Fair.

See, we leave our house around mid-morning, so we know after the two hour drive, we will be arriving around lunch time. Now usually, it's very hot on the day we go (After all, it's mid-August, and no matter what day we choose, it always seems to be the hottest of the week!) and Mr. Everyday and I aren't really in the mood to eat when we first get there; but not little man. He wants something. Anything. But he too doesn't want anything too heavy or filling...not when the huge midway and all those fun, twisty turny, upside down, speed filled, rides await him. So many times he will simply want a corn dog, something to drink and he is good for a while.

Well, what does a mommy do when it's the middle of January and her favorite boy says he is hungry for a corn dog? Sure, she could go to all the trouble sticking, dipping and frying them. Or...she could take all the same flavors and turn them into a tasty, time friendly, simple casserole the whole family can enjoy, any night of the week!

If you have corn dog lovers in your house, rather they be young or old, I promise they will flip for this! And you're gonna love the fact it can be on the table in about 45 minutes! So, if you have some winter blues too, and want to dream about all the fun summer will bring, when it finally gets here, this would be a great supper tonight!

Corn Dog Casserole Adapted from Taste of Home
2 (12 oz.) packs hot dogs, cut into 1/2" slices
2 (8.5 oz.) boxes corn muffin mix
1 1/2 c. milk
2 eggs
1 TBS mustard
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 TBS butter
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400. In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and saute' until tender and golden, about 5 minutes. Add salt, pepper and hot dogs. Continue cooking until hot dogs are slightly crisp around edges, stirring often, 5 additional minutes. Stir in mustard and reduce heat to low. In a large bowl combine eggs and milk. Whisk until well combined. Add both packages of corn muffin mix. Whisk well. Will still have small lumps. Add 1 c. cheese. Stir well. Add hot dog mixture. Stir to combine. Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Top with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Serve with ketchup on side.




Shared on The Country Cook
 


Disclaimer: As a Field Editor of Taste of Home, I share my own thoughts and opinions of this recipe. I am not a paid employee. 

20 comments:

Carolina HeartStrings said...

Yum. That looks like it hit the spot!

Unknown said...

I made this last night for my family. They LOVED it!!! Thank you so much for this recipe! Will definitely be making it again soon.

Krista said...

LaDawna....I'm SO happy to hear that :) Thanks for stopping by to let me know!

Unknown said...

THIS SOUNDS REAL GOOD BUT IF YOU WANT TO KICK IT UP A NOTCH SERVE IT TOPPED WITH CHILI AND CALL IT A CHILIDOG.

KathyB said...

Oh my gosh - I just found your site thru another FB friend and THIS - WOW
I ADORE corn dogs but yes - too messy to make them on sticks
I plan on trying this tomorrow - YUM

Krista said...

Renee, I'm sure if you like chili dogs, it would be. We however, don't, so we like it just like this :)

Krista said...

KathyB, Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope you'll find lots of yummy things to make! If you make this, enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to try this, thanks! Looks YUMMY!

Anonymous said...

not so big on hotdogs but love corn dogs -- what a great idea and an inexpensive meal !!! thanks for this recipe --

Krista said...

Enjoy!!! I hope you love it as much as we did :)

Anonymous said...

How many servings does this yield?

Krista said...

6-8 depending on size. It fed our family of 3 with leftovers :)

carabel said...

I made this tonight and it taste good but I think next time I'll go w more mustard and only 1 pack of weenies..All in all though it was great

Kellyann said...

Loved, loved, loved this! I used a pk and 1/2 of hot dogs and then had the last half to share with our real dogs for treats.

Krista said...

I am so glad to hear your family enjoyed it as much as we did....even the fur babies :)

Anonymous said...

Served with chili; so good!!

Mom makes food said...

Hi, I made this tonight for the first time and it's delicious! I made a few changes, I cut the recipe in half and added a can of creamed corn to the muffin mix. I still baked it in the same size pan and the same amount of time. The creamed corn makes it a little sweeter and keeps the bread moist. Thank you for the recipe!

Krista said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Your creamed corn addition sounds delish!

Unknown said...

Is this "mustard" prepared mustard or the spice mustard?

Krista said...

Just regular yellow mustard!