Everyday Mom's Meals: Chicago Treat
_____

Friday, September 14, 2012

Chicago Treat

Back in July Adam and I had enjoyed a couple's day in Chicago, just us and his aunt and uncle. Oh my gosh, we had so much fun, I can't even begin to tell you. It was the weekend of Adam's birthday, and also the 1 year anniversary of his grandpa's passing; and since he was the biggest Cubs fan in the world, we started our day in Chi-town with a tour of Wrigley Field. The boys had been to the ballpark before, but we girls hadn't. It was so interesting and I learned so many things about the park and his beloved Cubbies. Then after a delicious lunch at Hard Rock Cafe, it was time for the female portion of the trip...shopping! And I'm not just talking about any shopping. A full afternoon on the Magnificent Mile! While I had heard of it, and knew some of my favorite stores were there, I had never had the chance to enjoy it. We browsed from store to store, finding more and more treats as the day went on. Our husbands' wallets sure did feel the effects, but what can be better than finding fun things in stores such as Crate & Barrel and Bloomingdales? At the top of my list were kitchen items. I love new kitchen gadgets, decor, etc and these 2 stores were full of them! I came home with so many new fun things to try, but the one I was most excited about was a doughnut pan. I had been wanting one for a while, but just never took the money to buy it until that day. Plus, I got a great deal on it...only $12 :) I couldn't wait to try baking my own doughnuts at home.

So many fun new "toys". 
But then when we got home, a tragic thing happened. Life got in the way! We were so busy in August with the last of summer vacation and beginning of school I never had the chance. I kept seeing it every time I was in my cupboard pulling out other baking dishes and wishing I could just find the time. Then one Friday night over Labor Day weekend, I found it! The "boys" were at Taekwondo and I had some extra time on my hands. So I figured what a better breakfast treat over the holiday weekend than homemade doughnuts. They were super easy, and came out perfectly! I can't wait to play with different flavor combos over the fall and winter months. There is just something so "autumn" about fresh doughnuts and apple cider! Especially if you are having a party with kids! I'm so thankful for such a happy, memory filled day in Chicago with some of the people I love most in this world; and I'm extremely grateful I came home with a such a great item for my kitchen that each time I use it we get something yummy and I get to remember such a fantastic trip!

Baked Cinnamon Sugar Doughnuts From Bake Me Something Good
2 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
3/4 c milk
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 TBS butter, melted

Topping:
1/2 c. butter, melted
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. white sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 325. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. In a medium bowl combine eggs, milk, vanilla and butter. Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix to combine. Spray doughnut pan with cooking spray. Fill each vessel 3/4 full with batter. Smooth tops with spoon. Bake for 10-12 minutes until no longer shiny and doughnuts "spring back" when touched. Allow to cool slightly and remove from pan. Dip each doughnut into melted butter and then sugar mixture. Place on cooling rack to set.


Shared on The Country Cook Sept. 14, 2012
Shared on Make Ahead Meals Sept. 17, 2012
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Sept. 18, 2012


Featured On

Breakfast at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

6 comments:

The Better Baker said...

These look absolutely mouth-watering. I really must get me a set of those doughnut pans soon.

Winnie said...

Wowwww
These donuts look absolutely delicious!!

Anonymous said...

I made these doughnuts this morning and they are GREAT! I can't wait to try the glazed blueberry doughnuts. Thanks for sharing these! I'm like you; I have these doughnut pans forever and your recipe inspired me to get with it.... so glad that I did!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe; I made them this morning and they are great!! I can't wait to try the blueberry glazed doughnuts. Like you, I have had my doughnut pans for what seems like forever, and your recipe inspired me to get with it!!

Love you site!

Krista said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed them! Be sure to let me know when you try the blueberry ones too! Thanks for your kind words!

Valerie Gardner said...

These looks incredible!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'm gonna PRINT this to save for later because I live with a bunch of doughnut lovin' fools!!!