Everyday Mom's Meals: The Mall Brought Home
_____

Friday, September 7, 2012

The Mall Brought Home

Young or old, most of us can't spend very long in our local shopping mall without the enticing smell of a hot pretzel taking over our senses. Then we find ourselves standing in line, our stomachs growling and just a little drool at the corners of our mouth. Come on. Don't deny it. I know it's not just me. Plus now our Walmart also has a pretzel shop inside, so now I'm not even safe there! So when I saw this recipe on Pinterest I knew immediately I had to have them and fast! But this is a 2 for 1 special, because not only did I get a delicious treat, I also learned something. I had no idea that something as simple as baking soda could change every day refrigerated bread stick dough into a very close mock of pretzel dough. Yep, that's right. Something so simple that is sitting in your pantry right now is the secret ingredient in these that will make you look like a genius to your family! These are the perfect simple supper, after school snack, or kiddie party pleaser. And to make them even more special, I'm sharing an easy dipping sauce that is just spicy enough for a little kick to your tongue. Serve it warm, cool it down, either way it is the perfect dipper for these delicious dogs. I'm so happy I can make these at home whenever we want. Maybe now I can shop in peace without any distractions. Plus no money buying pretzels means more money to buy handbags!

Pretzel Dogs with Spicy Ketchup From Examiner.com
1 can (12ct) refrigerated bread stick dough
1 (8ct) package hot dogs
3 TBS baking soda
Sea Salt
1 (28oz) can tomato puree
1 TBS tomato paste
1 TBS onion powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. cider vinegar
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp salt
2 tsp red pepper flakes

In a medium sauce pan, combine tomato puree, tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder,  mustard, allspice, cloves, salt and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir. Cover and reduce heat to low, cook 20 minutes until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Allow to cool slightly before serving.

Preheat oven to 400. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Once boiling, add hot dogs and boil for 3 minutes. While cooking open and separate bread sticks. (You will have 4 extra- just twist and place on baking sheet to make bread sticks.) Once hot dogs are cooked, allow to cool enough to handle. Carefully ladle out 1 cup of boiling water into a bowl big enough to fit hot dogs. Add baking soda and stir until dissolved.  Wrap each hot dog with one bread stick, twisting it around. Leave a 1 inch space at each end. When hot dogs are wrapped, carefully dip each into water mixture being sure to cover. Place on baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 10 minutes, checking after 5. Bake until browned on top, but watch carefully because can easily burn. Serve with spicy ketchup on side.


Shared on The Country Cook Sept. 7, 2012
Shared on Make Ahead Meals Sept. 10, 2012
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Sept. 11, 2012
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Sept. 12, 2012
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Sept. 13, 2012



6 comments:

Colleen said...

Well how clever is that??? Who knew? LOL! How fun!

Jaime said...

I love it!!! I will be trying these out for lunch with my kiddo!! I would love for you to share this recipe at Mom's Test Meal Mondays!
http://momstestkitchen.blogspot.com/2012/09/moms-test-meal-mondays-7.html

Hope you are having a good week!
Jaime @ Mom's Test Kitchen

Miz Helen said...

Hi Krista,
What a great idea, I will just love these little treats. Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Lucky R said...

Thanks for posting! I made these tonight for my family and they were really good! I will definitely make them again. I wonder could you freeze them to have on hand instead of corn dogs?

Krista said...

Thanks for sharing! I'm so glad your family liked them. I would totally think you could freeze them!!

Lady Behind The Curtain said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your fun recipe has been chosen to be on Today's Feature Post from Cast Party Wednesday! ~Sheryl @ Lady Behind the Curtain~
http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/todays-feature-post-cast-party-58-5/