Everyday Mom's Meals: Thanks, Martha
_____

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Thanks, Martha

If you read that title, and know my family and I personally, you might be thinking this is yet another recipe from my Grammy, since to me she is Grammy, but to the outside world, she is Martha. I've already shared so many of hers with you, I wouldn't blame you for thinking that. However, this time I'm giving gratitude to another lady...Martha Stewart. I will be very honest with you. I'm not always impressed with her food. Sure it looks pretty, and probably tastes amazing, but I'm a busy mom and sometimes the amount of time she wants me to put into a recipe is just a little out of the question in my life. I will read something in one of her cookbooks, or watch her talk show and think "Seriously, who has this kind of time?" But every once in a while I will come across something of hers that is "fancy" enough for Martha, but simple enough for this everyday mom. These make a great seafood supper any night of the week, but after cooking and plating them, I realized they would also make a fantastic party food too. Plus, since you can roast them in the oven (see notes below) they can be made year round! A big tray of these, the dipping sauce and a bowl of toothpicks next to it would work perfectly for your guests. (Just be sure to set out an extra empty bowl for tails too!) Spicy, but not enough to be overpowering, these have just enough heat to be counteracted by the cool sauce for a perfect combo. So while this recipe worked out great, I'm definitely going to stick with my first Martha for the majority of my inspiration!

Grilled Buffalo Shrimp with Green Onion Dipping Sauce Shrimp Adapted From Martha Stewart
1 (12oz) bag frozen (41/60 count) large shrimp, peeled, deveined and tail left on
Zest of 2 lemons
2 garlic cloves, grated
2 TBS honey
1/2  tsp. celery seed
2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 c. sour cream
2 TBS lemon juice
1 tsp hot sauce
2 green onions, chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large plastic bag place shrimp, lemon zest, garlic, honey, celery seed, paprika, chili powder, oil, salt and pepper. Close bag and shake around to coat shrimp. Let marinate for 1 hour. When ready, preheat grill to high. Using a grill pan, grill shrimp on high for 2 minutes. Stir and flip. Reduce heat to medium and cook until opaque and pink, about 5 minutes. In a small bowl combine sour cream, lemon juice, hot sauce, green onions, salt and pepper. Stir well. Chill for 30 minutes.
*NOTE* You can also roast these shrimp. Preheat oven to 450. Place a baking sheet in the oven to heat. Roast shrimp without stirring  for approximately 10 minutes until opaque and pink. Also, the 12 oz. bag of shrimp fed our family of 3 very nicely. If you increase the amount of shrimp, be sure to adjust seasoning amounts to get same flavor.


Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Sept. 25, 2012
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Sept. 26, 2012
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Sept. 27, 2012
Shared on The Country Cook Sept. 28, 2012
Shrimp at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

5 comments:

Mandy Rivers said...

Girl, STOP IT! This looks insanely good! I can't wait to try!

Krista said...

Thanks so much! They are super food for your taste buds!

Miz Helen said...

I need a big plate of these Shrimp and dipping sauce to serve for a ballgame party. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Unknown said...

These look too good!! I wanted to invite you to Wonderful Food Wednesday at At Home Take 2... love it if you could link up 2-3 recipes. Hope to see you there.

Jessica @ At Home Take 2... Check out our Wonderful Food Wednesday

CEK said...

Good morning! I have featured this recipe on my blog today for my weekly seafood round-up and have linked this recipe to your original post so that my readers will be forwarded to your site. Thank you for allowing me to share! Here is the link: http://carriesexperimentalkitchen.blogspot.com/2012/10/seafood-frenzy-friday-week-37.html