Everyday Mom's Meals: Holiday Salad Topper
_____

Monday, September 3, 2012

Holiday Salad Topper

Well, I guess there is no denying it any longer. It is Labor Day, and that means summer is on it's way out. Yes, I know we still have some warm sunny days ahead of us, and more than likely an Indian Summer, but to me Labor Day is just a huge red flag I need to prepare myself for what is to come. I can't help but be a bit depressed. I love summer and everything that goes with it so much I am always sad to see it go. I enjoy autumn, but dread what comes next. But for the time being, I'm going to soak up every last minute I can and make the most of it.

That being said, Happy Labor Day! I hope however you are spending it, some yummy food is involved. Are you having one last pool party? Enjoying some relaxation at the lake? Grilling out? Well, I'm guessing that many of you are, and I'm also going to guess that many of your holiday tables are going to include a salad of some kind. Maybe a nice side salad or even my Easy Caesar Salad. Especially if you are like us and are trying to take advantage of those summer veggies while we still can. Nothing tastes better that a nice tossed salad made with ingredients just picked from your backyard. And today I've got the perfect topper for that fresh salad...homemade croutons. For our family a salad isn't perfect until those crunchy seasoned gems are sitting on the top. Now, if you are serving a crowd, let me give you a couple different tips. If you are serving a salad that is already dressed, don't add them until the last minute. Nobody likes soggy croutons. Or, to be even safer, sit a small bowl of these next to the salad to be spooned on by those who want them. Yes, believe it or not, I do know some people that don't like croutons at all and will pick them off every time. Personally, I don't think they know what they are missing!

From my family to yours, we wish you a very happy, and safe Labor Day!

Baked Croutons
5 slices white bread, crusts removed and cubed
3 TBS olive oil
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. dried parsley

Preheat oven to 300. In a small bowl combine oil, garlic salt and parsley. In a medium bowl combine oil mixture and bread cubes. Mix well until completely coated. Spread onto a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Stir. Cook for additional 15 minutes until crisp and brown.


Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Sept. 4, 2012
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Sept. 5, 2012
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Sept. 6, 2012
Shared on The Country Cook Sept. 7, 2012
Salad at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

2 comments:

Love Bakes Good Cakes said...

I love homemade croutons - so many different flavors you can make!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Krista,
I love to use Homemade Croutons and this is a great recipe. Hope you are having a fabulous weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen