Everyday Mom's Meals: A Trip to Kansas
_____

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Trip to Kansas

If you know anything about good barbecue, you know that different regions in this country pride themselves on having the best variety, and there are plenty out there to choose from. And if you are like me and get the majority of your knowledge about barbecue from the Food Network, you also know that Kansas City is known for their rubs! If you are eating at a barbecue joint in Kansas City you can guarantee whatever meat you are enjoying was "rubbed down" before it was ever shown the heat!

A couple weeks ago my husband shared that he had met his brother for lunch at a local barbecue place here in Fort Wayne. I had never heard of it, but he said it was really really good. Well, to be honest with you, I was just a tad peeved! Or I guess I should say, jealous. I was instantly hungry for really good barbecue, and knew I needed something as authentic as I could get it. So when I came across some really nice bone-in pork chops at the grocery store I knew exactly what they were made for. I can honestly say the minute these hit the grill the entire backyard smelled like those barbecue joints we drive past in the south and have our mouths drooling. They couldn't cook fast enough, and once we began eating, we couldn't stop. They are SO good, and exactly the flavor I was craving so bad. They are definitely something I will be making again and again, each time taking a mini trip to Kansas without having to put gas in the car!

Kansas City Pork Chops
4 Center Cut Pork Loin Chops (we like them cut thin)
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/8 c. paprika
1/2 TBS salt
1/2 TBS pepper
1/2 TBS garlic powder
1/2 TBS chili powder
1/2 TBS onion powder
Vegetable Oil for grill
Barbecue Sauce (We like Jack Daniels Original)

In a small bowl combine all spices. Mix well to combine. Place pork chops in a large plastic storage bag. Add rub mixture. Close tightly. Roll around and toss to coat. Place in fridge and marinate for at least 2 hours. Preheat grill to medium high. When ready, brush with oil. Place pork chops on grill and cook 3 minutes on each side to sear. Lower heat to low and continue cooking until juices run clear. For ours I cooked them 7 minutes on each side. During the last 2 minutes on each side, baste with barbecue sauce. Remove from heat and baste with a little extra sauce before serving.


Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Sept. 12, 2012
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Sept. 13, 2012
Shared on The Country Cook Sept. 14, 2012



Pork at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

2 comments:

Miz Helen said...

Hi Krista,
I corrected your linky for you, no problem. These Chops are awesome they look delicious. Your are right about all the meat in Kansas having a rub and your rub looks really good. Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Miz Helen said...

Congratulations!
Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you are having a great day and enjoy your new Red Plate.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen