Everyday Mom's Meals: Autumn Picnic 2.0
_____

Friday, September 21, 2012

Autumn Picnic 2.0

Last fall when I shared my Picnic Potato Salad I shared that in my family picnics happen during the summer months, but not so much in the fall, but I knew many of you do enjoy a beautiful autumn picnic. So when I found this recipe I knew it would be yet another perfect dish to enjoy on a blanket in the middle of a park on a sunny day surrounded by golden and orange foliage. Or if your are like me and tend to only picnic between Memorial and Labor Day, then this could be your contribution to any tailgate party! That's right, football season is back upon us, and in our house that means we are all very happy. I am the wife my husband's friends are jealous of. I watch every game I can each weekend, both college and pro, and am usually the one yelling at the television! I love me a good pigskin throw down! And one of the best parts of football season is tailgating and parties. Whether you are gathering outside the stadium before cheering on your favorite team, or gathered in a friend's living room enjoying the game on the big screen, food and football just seem to go together. However you decide to enjoy this coleslaw, it will be a huge hit with the addition of two of fall's favorite flavors, apples and cranberries! This might even be something you want to tuck away in the back of your mind for your Turkey Day table! Embrace autumn and all it's splendor...including new and unique foods.

Apple Slaw From Gooseberry Patch
1 c. coleslaw mix
2 green apples, cored and cubed
1 red apple, cored and cubed
1/3 c. chopped walnuts
1/3 c. dried cranberries
1 c. sour cream
3 TBS lemon juice
1-2 TBS cider vinegar
1 TBS poppy seeds
1 TBS sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large bowl combine coleslaw mix, apples, walnuts and cranberries. Mix well. In a small bowl, combine sour cream, vinegar, lemon juice, poppy seeds, sugar, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Pour over coleslaw and apple mix. Stir well to coat. Garnish with extra cranberries. Chill until serving.


Shared on The Country Cook Sept. 21, 2012
Shared on Make Ahead Meals Sept. 24, 2012
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Sept. 25, 2012
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Oct. 3, 2012
Apples at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

No comments: