Everyday Mom's Meals: Year Round Fruit
_____

Monday, September 17, 2012

Year Round Fruit

A couple weeks ago when I shared my homemade Tartar Sauce with you, I said I had taken it to our family's annual fish fry celebration. Well, at that same party I discovered a new fruit salad that I am now totally addicted to. My sister-in-law's best friend brought it and while I didn't know what it was at first, I could see pecans and brown sugar on top, and let's face it, anything with those 2 things topping it has to taste good. Seriously, there could be mud underneath, and with brown sugar and pecans, it would be super yummy! After tasting it I knew I needed the recipe and she was kind enough to share. I couldn't believe how easy it was, and she said anytime she takes it to parties it is a big hit, and I can understand why. Now I realize when most people make something like this, they gear it towards the summer months because that is when we as a society eat the most fruit, and fruit salad. And I understand that because I too try to eat produce that is in season for optimal flavor and price. But grapes seem to be the one fruit I can find year round and they always have good flavor and are economical. So if you want to make this in warm months, I recommend you do it quickly (Unless you live in a tropical climate. In that case, you can wait!) or follow my lead, and now you have another fruit salad you can make 12 months out of the year; and enjoy a sweet treat summer, fall or winter!

Sweet Grape Salad
1 lb. seedless green grapes
1 lb. seedless red grapes
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
8 oz. sour cream
1/2 c. white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. pecan chips

In a large bowl mix grapes. In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, sour cream, white sugar and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Pour over grapes and mix well. Sprinkle brown sugar over grape mixture. Do not mix. Top with pecans. Do not mix. Chill overnight. Mix just before serving, if desired. Personally, I like serving it as is and let each person mix it on their plate. Serve very cold.



Shared on Make Ahead Meals Sept. 17, 2012
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Sept. 18, 2012
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Sept. 19, 2012
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Sept. 20, 2012
Shared on The Country Cook Sept. 21, 2012



2 comments:

Patty said...

Looks yummy. I will have to try it.

Miz Helen said...

Krista,
This looks very good! Hope you have a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen