Everyday Mom's Meals: Quick As A Beet
_____

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Quick As A Beet

We have a saying in our family. Well, I should say Alex and I have a saying. "Quick as a bunny." If I want him to do something and he is afraid he's going to miss some life altering even in the 10 seconds it's going to take (If you have kids, you know what I'm talking about!) I will say to him, "It won't take long. Do it quick as a bunny." And this recipe is almost as quick as that! Okay, it's going to take you longer than 10 seconds, but seriously, compared to how long pickling can take, this is a super quick substitution. I have never pickled anything in the traditional way, because to be quite frank I have never taken the time. I will admit that! So when I was given some beautiful garden fresh beets, I knew I could roast them, but was hoping to find a quick pickling technique. I was lucky to find this and couldn't wait to try it. I literally made this in about 45 minutes on a weekday morning while doing other things around the house. No jars involved! If you think you don't like beets, and have only ever had the canned variety from the store, I urge you to try some fresh ones! I love all kinds, but I do find preparing them in my own kitchen, (roasted, steamed or pickled) gives them an entirely different flavor than store bought ones. You know your everyday mom is all about the quick, rather it be my son imitating a rabbit, or something yummy from my kitchen!

Quick Pickled Beets Adapted from Eating Well
3 large beets, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
2 TBS water
1/2 c. red wine vinegar
1 small white onion, sliced thin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 whole cloves
4 whole peppercorns
2 TBS sugar

In a large microwave safe bowl combine beets and water. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Cook on high for 10 minutes until fork tender. Remove and let stand, covered for 5 minutes. In a saucepan on medium high heat combine onion, vinegar, cinnamon, sugar, peppercorns, and cloves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook until onions are crisp tender, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a large bowl combine beets and liquid mixture. Let stand 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Sept. 26, 2012
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Sept. 27, 2012
Shared on The Country Cook Sept. 28, 2012
Beets at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

2 comments:

Miz Helen said...

We love Pickled Beets, they are really one of my favorite fall pickles. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Felecia Cofield said...

I love pickled beets! Thank you so much for sharing! Blessings from Bama!