Everyday Mom's Meals: Birthday Breakfast
_____

Friday, September 28, 2012

Birthday Breakfast

When my little boy's birthday rolls around, it's my job to make sure it is not just one fun filled day, but at least a couple! And if we are lucky like we were this year to have it on the weekend, I have the extra time to fit in as many treats as possible. As most of you know, we started his birthday weekend with a party on Saturday with his actual birthday on Sunday. So when I was making my "to-do" list for the weekend, I knew I wanted something extra special for breakfast, but knew we would be so busy I wouldn't have a lot of time either morning. I immediately knew the answer! It was time to put the new doughnut pan to use once again! I've already shared my Cinnamon Sugar Doughnuts, which were a huge hit. For the second time I knew exactly what kind I wanted to try next. Blueberry...Glazed Blueberry! When I had first gotten my new pan I started to look for various recipes with different flavor combos, and when I found this recipe it was at the top of my list because I knew both of my boys would love them. So what better time try to a new sweet treat than for a special birthday breakfast for my favorite Monkey? These are delicious! They are so much better than anything you can buy in the store, and truly take almost no time at all. And if you are a little leery of trying your hand at doughnuts, don't be! I'm telling you~if I can bake these, anyone can! If you can stir and pour, these will be perfect! If you need a new breakfast idea, or are just drooling from the photo, be sure to try these asap!

Glazed Blueberry Doughnuts Adapted from A Well Seasoned Life
1 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 TBS milk
2 eggs
3 TBS vegetable oil
2 TBS water
1/2 c. blueberries, mashed slightly (I used a potato masher)
1 1/4 c. powdered sugar
3 TBS milk

Preheat oven to 325. In a small bowl combine powdered sugar and milk, a little at a time, to make glaze. Set aside. In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a medium bowl whisk eggs, oil, water, and milk. Pour wet ingredients into dry. Add blueberries. Stir well until combined. Don't over stir. Spray doughnut pan lightly with cooking spray. Fill each well half way with batter, smoothing tops with back of a spoon. Bake for 16-18 minutes until firm. Remove from pan. Let cool slightly. Dip each doughnut into glaze and place on cooling rack to set.




Makes 8 Doughnuts

Shared on The Country Cook Sept. 28, 2012
Shared on Maked Ahead Meals Oct. 1, 2012
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Oct. 2, 2012

5 comments:

Jenn said...

I love blueberry donuts!

Unknown said...

Hello there!
My husband's birthday kis coming up and he has requested a cake that tastes like the blueberry cake donuts you buy in bakeries. I have looked and looked but all I can find is how to make donuts out of cake batter LOL. Could I double this recipe and make it a cake? Or would it not turn out right? Thank you! This looks like a great recipe.

Krista said...

I wish I could tell you for sure, but I can tell you I would be willing to try it! I would definitely watch the baking time. Increase it & watch it constantly. Let me know!

Barb Karr said...

Have you ever tried frozen blueberries? I have so many in the freezer and this would be ideal for me. These look amazing! Thank you. Barb

Krista said...

I’ve never done so, but I would suggest thawing and draining well. Then dust with a little flour to make sure they don’t all sink to the bottom of the batter.