Everyday Mom's Meals: Don't Tell Him, But It Was Okay
_____

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Don't Tell Him, But It Was Okay

Let me start by giving you a small visual, so this story makes more sense. In our kitchen we have a medium sized chest freezer where you can always find an assortment of meats and various other items. I never thought I would want an extra freezer, but now I don't know what I would do without it. On top of said freezer, is where I keep my "stash" of things to pack in Alex's lunch. Crackers, Granola Bars, Jello, Juice Boxes, Raisins, Fruit Snacks....if a 2nd grade boy would like it in his lunchbox, you'll probably find it on there. So the only downside to getting something out of the freezer is having to move all of that stuff so you can. Hence why I've made this Mr. Everyday's job. After all, it was his idea to get the freezer to begin with, and I'm going to be the one cooking whatever he has to retrieve, so think it's only fair.

That being said, a couple weeks ago I asked him to get a beef roast out so it could thaw overnight because the next day it was going in the Crock Pot for Italian Beef Sandwiches. However, the next morning I sleepily walked to the kitchen to discover he had forgotten. And I will be totally honestly with you, I was ticked. I knew it meant I was going to have to figure something else out for supper. Now, sometimes that isn't a big deal. I grab a few different things from the cupboards and fridge and start a new plan. But this day was towards the end of the week, and another grocery shopping day, so I didn't have that much on hand. So I knew I was going to have to work with the things I would use for the sandwiches I had planned to make. Well, the side dishes were fine, so it was just the star of the show that would need adaptation. I had buns, the beef broth for the roast, and Provolone cheese. Plus, some garden fresh peppers and onions in the crisper. My solution began to take hold. A quick stop at the grocery store deli and I would have my answer~ Philly Cheesesteaks! One of our favorite sandwiches that I've made at home a couple times, but never to this level of success! These are fantastic and the perfect sandwich for a busy weeknight when maybe you need to regroup too. So, in the end, my honey's mistake was okay because it led to something yummy, but that will be our little secret, okay?!

Philly Cheesesteaks
1/2 lb. deli roast beef, sliced thin and chopped
2 medium green peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 TBS vegetable oil
1 (15oz) can beef broth
4 slices of Provolone cheese, each cut in half
Hoagie Buns
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large skillet heat oil to medium. Add peppers and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 5 minutes until browned. Turn heat to low, cover and continue cooking until tender, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400. Cut each bun in half and set tops aside. When veggies are tender, remove and set aside but keep warm. In the same skillet add roast beef and saute for 3 minutes. Add beef broth, and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until liquid reduces by half, about 10 minutes. When meat is cooked, remove from skillet with a slotted spoon. Divide equally among 4 bun bottoms. Add 2 halves of cheese to each sandwich. Bake in oven about 5 minutes until cheese is melted. Remove and add peppers and onions to each.

Makes 4 Sandwiches

Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Sept. 11, 2012
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Sept. 12, 2012
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Sept. 13, 2012
Shared on The Country Cook Sept. 14, 2012

Sandwiches at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

1 comment:

Miz Helen said...

My Honey Bunny is going to love this sandwich, Philly Cheese is one of his favorites. Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen