Everyday Mom's Meals: Yet Another Potato Dish
_____

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Yet Another Potato Dish

I'm sure daily readers of this blog must think that I make potato dishes almost every night. Well, not quite, but close. Ha Ha. Usually once or twice a week we have potatoes, in some fashion, as one of our "veggies" for supper. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, potatoes are cheap, there are 100 things you can do with them, and they go very far. These are probably why all of moms on a budget w/ kids that want to eat us out of house and home are such big fans! I was looking for something new to do the other night and decided to try my hand at making a galette. I've seen them made on Food Network before, and figured the worst that could happen was I end up breaking it up into hash browns. It actually came out beautiful and was delicious. Definitely something I'll try again and maybe next time add some extra ingredients!

Potato Galette
1 TBS unsalted butter melted
1 large baking potato
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Melt butter in a nonstick skillet. Peel potato and slice very thing, 1/8 of an inch. (If you have a mandolin, this would be perfect). Toss potato w/ melted butter, salt and pepper in a bowl. Layer potato slices, overlapping slightly, in skillet. Cover skillet w/ a lid or foil and cook over moderately low heat until underside is golden brown, about 10 minutes. Slide galette onto a dinner plate. Invert skillet over galette, then, holding plate tightly against skillet, flip galette into skillet. Cook, covered until potato is tender when pierced w/ a paring knife, 10-12 minutes.
Potato on FoodistaPotato

No comments: