Everyday Mom's Meals: Here We Come A Wassailing
_____

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Here We Come A Wassailing

During the holidays last year my husband received a phone call from his brother Matt (who enjoys cooking and is even in a dinner club) wondering if I knew how to make wassail. I had an idea, but wasn't for sure, so I found a recipe on the internet and told him what it said. It wasn't the easiest and to be honest I never found out if he even tried it. So imagine my joy upon purchasing Better Home and Gardens Crockery Cookbook, finding a very simple recipe for making wassail in the crockpot! Matt and I have decided that at least one of us is going to try it this year, and I hope it turns out as yummy as it sounds!

Holiday Wassail
6 inches stick cinnamon, broken
12 whole cloves
8 cups water
1/2 of a 12 oz. can frozen cranberry juice concentrate
1/2 of a 12 oz. can frozen raspberry juice blend concentrate
1 6 oz. can frozen apple juice concentrate
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2- 3/4 cup brandy or rum; or 6 tea bags (optional)

For spice bag, cut a double thickness of 100% cotton cheesecloth into a 6 inch square. Place cinnamon and cloves in center of square. Bring up corners of cheesecloth and tie w/ a clean string.

In a 5 qt. crockpot combine water, juices, sugar and lemon juice. Add spice bag. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours, or high for 2.5-3 hours. Remove spice bag. If desired, about 5 minutes before serving add brandy, rum or tea bags. Allow to stand 5 minutes. Remove tea bags if using.

No comments: