Everyday Mom's Meals: Try Something New
_____

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Try Something New

When I was a teenager and my Grammy was visiting us, she declared she was going to make me a new side dish for supper. My parents had actually had it before during a visit to PA that I wasn't there for. When she told me what it was I must have gotten a look of disgust on my face b/c I remember my dad saying "Now don't turn your nose up until you try it. It's very very good". I don't know why I would have done that b/c I was never one not to try new things. But being a teenager, I'm sure I was in a mood and it had nothing to do w/ the meal. :-) I should have trusted the fact that I would love it b/c most things Grammy makes are fantastic and crowd pleasers. Well, that "new" side dish is now one I make for my family on a regular basis and everyone I have shared the recipe w/ in the past agrees it's delicious!

Fried Cabbage and Noodles

1 small head of cabbage- chopped
1 lb egg noodles- medium or wide
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook egg noodles according to package directions until just al dente and have just a bit of a bite to them. Drain.

Meanwhile in a large skillet ( I use my electric one) saute cabbage in vegetable oil until tender and brown on the edges, about 10 minutes. Season w/ salt and pepper to taste.

When noodles are drained, add to skillet. Add a little more oil if necessary. Saute w/ cabbage until noodles are finished cooking and flavors are mixed, about 8 minutes. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust accordingly.


Cabbage on FoodistaCabbage

6 comments:

Tina said...

This sounds so good! I am going to have to try it some time. :-)

alkinsey said...

Sounds good and better yet, easy and I love cabbage and noodles!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE fried cabbage and noodles. I let the noodles and cabbage get brown spots on it. Tastes great w/ lots of black pepper!

Krista said...

Me too! Brown and crisp and yep, lots of black pepper!

Anonymous said...

Try crumbling some bacon bits into this. This is how we serve it in my family. It gives it a nice flavor!

Anonymous said...

We call this haluski here in Pennsylvania, I make ours with butter & also saute garlic & onion with the cabbage,yummy!! Also delish served with kilbasea.