Everyday Mom's Meals: Channeling Jamie Oliver
_____

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Channeling Jamie Oliver

This past spring I was addicted to ABC's "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution". Each week I watched Jamie fighting for the nutrition and health of the residents of Huntington, WV starting w/ the food served inside their schools' cafeterias. It was sometimes appalling to see what these kids (and other kids across America) are eating every day; and are considered "healthy" by the school nutrition officials. Jamie has revamped the school lunch program in England so much so that he felt that he could bring the same help, ideas and knowledge to the citizens of Huntington. And while met w/ resistance at first, by the end of the series, Jamie had convinced a lot of people that schools need to change the way they are feeding their children and many many people stood up next to him demanding better. I don't know if I would have thought about Alex's school lunch as much as I do know w/o watching Jamie and his revolution. I've seen the menu for Alex's school and while I know they are trying, I can see many things that could use improvement if some of Jamie's ideas were implemented. But until that happens, I will continue to pack my little guy's lunch every day w/ healthy, delicious and fun things that I can be proud to say I'm feeding him.

Nutty Pretzel Wands
Spread peanut butter on top few inches of pretzel rods. Roll in chopped peanuts and/or dried fruit.

Fruit Dip
Mix 1 cup low fat sour cream and 2 TBS each brown sugar and lime juice. Sprinkle w/ cinnamon sugar. Thread fruit onto skewers (pineapple, grapes, strawberries); serve w/ dip.

No comments: