Everyday Mom's Meals: Tomato Substitute
_____

Monday, September 24, 2012

Tomato Substitute

Every summer one of our family's favorite treats are Fried Green Tomatoes. My gardeners (aka husband and son) know if they want a decent amount of ripe tomatoes to enjoy, they better plant extra because as soon as they are green and big enough to eat, I'm stealing them to fry them up! And they are okay with that because I've passed my love for these southern summer favorite onto them. Well, this year the drought was not kind to our garden, and while we have enjoyed some grape and cherry tomatoes, and even some peppers, the ones I would have used for frying just didn't grow that well. In fact, the only time we were able to indulge was at the State Fair and the fried veggies vendor. (And boy did they taste good!) So when I could no longer wait and needed to satisfy my craving, I remembered what my mom used to do when I was growing up. During the winter months when green tomatoes were no where to be found, she discovered eggplant made a tasty substitution. Is it the exact same? Of course not. Nothing gives you the tangy flavor of a fresh green tomato, but the texture is close, and of course the beer batter makes anything taste good! I like them sliced, served as a main dish with a little warm marinara sauce and/or ranch dip on the side; but you could also make them in smaller portions, and put them out for a party. Sometimes substitutions need to be made in life, including in our favorite foods, but when those turn out just as delicious as the original, then it's a sacrifice I'm okay to make!

Beer Battered Fried Eggplant
2 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced about 1/2 inch thick
2/3 c. flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2/3 c. beer
Vegetable Oil
Sea Salt
Marinara Sauce, optional
Ranch Dip, optional

In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper and beer. Whisk to combine. Should be the consistency of pancake batter. Preheat an electric skillet to 375. Pour 1 inch of oil in bottom. Dip eggplant slices into batter and place in oil when hot. Fry on each side about 4 minutes until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Season with sea salt. Serve with warm marinara or ranch.


Shared on Make Ahead Meals Sept. 24, 2012
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Sept. 25, 2012
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Sept. 26, 2012
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Sept. 27, 2012
Shared on The Country Cook Sept. 28, 2012
Pin It

1 comment:

Lisa/Fresh Eggs Daily Farm Girl said...

Oh my goodness! These look so good! I hope you could be persuaded to come share your recipe on my Blog Fest: http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/09/farm-girl-friday-blog-fest-2.html