Everyday Mom's Meals: 1+1= YUMMY!!
_____

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

1+1= YUMMY!!

Math always was my favorite subject in school; and I have to admit the one I was best at. But in this case, the equation leads to 100% deliciousness. See, it was time to once again fry up some green tomatoes ( I told you we like to eat these often in the summer) and I wanted to experiment a little. We loved the beer batter I used on the fish in FL so much I thought it would be awesome on veggies too. After all, if you are at a fair and get a fried vegetable basket, is usually includes at least one green tomato, and they are battered not breaded. Yes, I'm the girl that goes to the fair and eats anything and everything that is fried! "Fat fried fat" we like to call it :-) But if I'm eating fried veggies, they are good for me right? Well, at least that's what I tell myself!! It's a treat, and we don't do it all the time, but when we do.....mmmmmm....is it good!!! So I figured why not try the batter we tried and enjoyed so much on another treat we enjoy so much??!! Now, if you enjoy a more traditional fried green tomato, by all means, stick to the original recipe I posted, and it's perfectly scrumptious too, but if you are like me, and like to experiment and/or want a reminder that fair and festival season is upon us, try this new one. It will make you feel like you're walking the midway, lights flashing, the smell of kettle corn, cotton candy and elephant ears in the air!

Beer Battered Green Tomatoes

4-5 green tomatoes, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
Salt and pepper to taste
Vegetable oil for frying

Batter:

1/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/3 c. flat beer (I used it right from the bottle and it worked fine)

Slice tomatoes and drain in a colander for about 30 minutes. Pat dry w/ paper towels.  Whisk flour, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Whisk in beer.Stir well w/ no clumps. Heat 1/2 inch oil in electric skillet to 350. Batter tomatoes and let excess drip off. Fry on each side about 4 minutes. Do not let touch. Fry in batches as to maintain temperature of oil. Dry on paper towels. Season w/ salt and pepper to taste.


Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box July 12, 2011
Shared on This Chick Cooks July 13, 2011
Shared on Lark's Country Heart July 13, 2011
Shared on Around My Family Table July 14, 2011
Shared on It's A Keeper July 14, 2011


Green Tomato on FoodistaGreen Tomato

5 comments:

Michelle said...

You know, I've never had a green tomato. How weird is that? I'll have to try these!

Michelle

http://michellesdinnerbell.blogspot.com/

Krista said...

Not weird at all! A lot of people haven't and most here in Indiana look at us crazy when we want to buy them! In fact, the farmer Adam bought these from was so excited he said "nobody ever wants these!!!"

Michelle said...

Ha! I was going to ask you if they were available everywhere.... Not sure we have those in California.

Michelle
http://michellesdinnerbell.blogspot.com/

Krista said...

They could be available everywhere, but most farmers want to sell ripe ones b/c people don't want the green ones. Me? I like either and my husband plants extra in the garden b/c he knows I'll take a lot before they ripen :)

carolinaheartstrings said...

Fried green tomatoes. Yum. We southern girls love this! Come over and visit us today. We have a great grilled corn recipe.