Everyday Mom's Meals: Mmmm......Meat
_____

Friday, July 29, 2011

Mmmm......Meat

While I have all the respect in the world for those out there who have decided to live a meat free life, I could never do it. I have some very close friends and even family who are Vegetarians or Vegans, but while I love my veggies, fruits, legumes, etc., I know myself well enough to know while I might be able to keep it up for a while if I attempted, eventually I would fall off the wagon and you would find me in the closet sucking on the bones from a slab of ribs. I enjoy a great steak cooked over an open flame. I love a juicy pork chop. I crave bacon!! Maybe this is b/c I am the daughter of the original "meat and potatoes" man! When I was growing up my dad wanted 2 things for supper every night: a meat, a potato of some sort and a veggie. Thank goodness my mom could get creative and mix it up w/ different combos and still insisted on pasta, rice, and casseroles every now and then. It's funny b/c w/ age my dad has become a much more adventurous eater and will try things today he would have never been willing to back then. Because we were such big meat eaters, each of my parents found new ways of preparing it. The first time my dad (the grill master) walked outside, chuck roast in hand, my mom thought he had lost his mind! "You can't cook an entire beef roast on the grill." But ah yes, you can! I'm not even sure what my dad's method was, or what even made him think to do it, but it was seriously some of the tasiest beef we had ever eaten. And quickly became one of our favorite summer meals. So now that I have conquered the grill myself, I have started to indulge my family w/ this savory treasure also. It's a great idea to do when you're going to be home all day, b/c you do have to keep an eye on it, but at least it's all done outside. Plus, if you're tailgating all day, or camping, or hanging out at a park, this would be a very easy way to feed a crowd w/o much effort! The next time you are passing the meat case at the grocery store, leave the steaks, grab a roast and get to grilling!

Grilled Beef Roast


1 chuck roast, 3-4 lbs. (I usually use boneless)
Salt and Pepper
Cooking Spray

Allow the roast to come to room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking. Prepare grill by cleaning grates and spraying w/ cooking spray. Turn off one side of the grill (propane grills). Roast is best cooked on indirect heat. Set the heated side on medium low. Rub roast w/ salt and pepper. Place on non heated side of the grill. Cook for 1 hour. Flip and cook 1 more hour. After cooking 2 hours, increase heat to medium high and wrap roast in foil and cook 1 additional hour. Turn grill off, leave lid closed and allow to sit for 30 minutes.


Shared on Amee's Savory Dish July 29, 2011
Shared on Make Ahead Meals Aug. 1, 2011
Shared on Jam Hands Aug. 1, 2011

3 comments:

Tara @ the pleased plate said...

I just found you on foodblogs.com and I love your site. I am a stay at home mom to two young daughters and I believe in cooking at home and enjoying our meals together as well!

Krista said...

Hi Tara! Thanks for your kind words. Just checked out your site and I love it too! I really respect the "I'm not a short order cook" mentality. I am the say way, and so was my mother. I make it. You eat it. B/c it's a long time until breakfast! LOL Stop by anytime.

Ali said...

yum! This looks so tasty.
Thank you so much for sharing this at Recipe Sharing Monday. I hope to see you back next week!