Everyday Mom's Meals: Crisp and Cool
_____

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Crisp and Cool

Those 2 words describe many things we like to eat in the summer! I think everyone eats more "rabbit" food during the warm months. Between the heat and not wanting anything too heavy, to the beautiful produce coming out of our own backyards or the local Farmer's Market, salads are just too good to resist. In my old age (ha! I know those of you who are a little longer in the tooth are rolling your eyes at my 30 year old self saying that) I have become much more adventureous when it comes to the greens. I used to be a tossed salad only kind of girl. Not b/c I was picky. I just wasn't introduced to more "sophisticated" salads until I was an adult. I have a few in my reprotaire. (Check out my spinach salad or Greek salad) and am always looking for new interesting combinations. When I saw this in this month's Everyday with Rachael Ray it jumped off the page at me. One b/c celery?? Who would have thought to make an entire salad w/ it as the main ingredient. Isn't it for peanut butter, ants on logs, and veggie platters? And two, b/c it included blue cheese which Adam LOVES. I have grown to like it in certain things and think the tangy flavor of it, w/ the sweetness of celery are a nice compliment. I read the recipe to Adam and he agreed it needed to find it's way to our table, and soon. So why not on a day we're grilling and it's supposed to be in the upper 90s? Celery: it's not just for snacking anymore!

Celery Salad w/ Blue Cheese

1 TBS. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. dijon mustard
salt and pepper
1/4 c. olive oil
1 bunch celery, sliced 1/4 inch think (can include greens if desired)
3/4 c. chopped walnuts
3/4 c. crumbled blue cheese

In small bowl, combine vinegar, mustard and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Whisk in oil. In a large bowl, combine the celery, walnuts and blue cheese. Add the dressing and toss to coat.


Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box July 12, 2011
Shared on Gooseberry Patch July 13, 2011
Shared on Around My Family Table July 14, 2011
Shared on Simply Delish July 15, 2011
Shared on Amee's Savory Dish July 15, 2011


Celery on FoodistaCelery

Blue Cheese- جبنه معفنه, روكفور on FoodistaBlue Cheese- جبنه معفنه, روكفور

No comments: