Everyday Mom's Meals: Just Peachy
_____

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Just Peachy

I love cook books. I love getting lost in them for hours finding new recipes, exploring new ideas and learning things from cooks that have come before me. Some of my favorite ones are those who were given to me by loved ones, and passed down from generation to generation. I especially enjoy seeing handwritten notes from those whom are no longer w/ us, and feeling they are right there w/ me in my kitchen. Our condo in Florida is a family condo, and was originally owned by Adam's Great Aunt Esther. To say she was a special lady doesn't even come close to describing her. Great Aunt Esther served our country, was a college professor, a nurse, a devout Christian and the matriarch of their family. When I came along, she and I instantly clicked. Both coming from a medical background, both being God loving women and both having a knack for organization, planning, and our special bond was letter/card sending. Nobody was better at it than she, and when she found out I too was one for dropping a note in the mail for no reason at all, we were instant friends. I adored Great Aunt Esther and when our Lord called her home in 2007 at the age of  93, we knew she had lived a long, full and fabulous life. When we were in New Smyrna Beach in June I came across a stack of her old cook books and couldn't wait to dive in. In addition, there were tons of small clippings she had cut out from various sources, and some included recipes Adam remembered her making when they would visit her. This came out of "Classic Desserts"- an entire book of recipes using sweetened condensed milk. And in my experience, if a recipe includes a can of that sweet, thick yumminess, it's a good one! Cooking is like a scrapbook--it lets you remember those whom you love so much, the happy times you shared w/ them, and preserves those memories for lifetimes to come.

Peach Custard Streusel Pie
1 9 inch unbaked pastry shell
1 29 oz can sliced peaches, well drained
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 c. butter, melted
2 eggs
Dash of nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c. cold butter
1/2 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 c. unsifted flour
1/4 c. finely chopped pecans (my bag called them "pecan chips")

Preheat oven to 425. Place peaches in bottom of pastry shell. In a medium mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add condensed milk, melted butter, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well. Pour over peaches. (I put mine on a cookie sheet to catch drips) In another bowl, combine sugar and flour. Cut in cold butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans.  Sprinkle over pie. Place in bottom third of oven. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce temp to 375 and continue baking 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers.


Alex meeting his Great Great Aunt Esther for the first time. Nov 2004

Shared on Hugs & Cookies July 26, 2011
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box July 26, 2011
Shared on Celebrating Family July 26, 2011
Shared on Gooseberry Patch July 27, 2011
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage July 28, 2011
Shared on It's A Keeper July 28, 2011
Shared on Around My Family Table July 28, 2011
Shared on Amee's Savory Dish July 29, 2011
Shared on Make Ahead Meals Aug. 1, 2011
Shared on Jam Hands Aug. 1, 2011
Shared on Sweet As Sugar Cookies Aug. 13, 2011

4 comments:

Tricia @ Recipe Roundup said...

That looks AWESOME and I love the picture of her and Alex! :-) Great post, cuz!

Krista said...

Thanks! I guess it's going to be a week of tributes. Wasn't planned that way, but there is one for Grandpa coming later this week.

Krista said...

Absolutely, thank you SO much. I will take a look ASAP!

Miz Helen said...

There is nothing like those wonderful family recipes that have been passed down to us through the years. Your Peach Pie looks like it is a real treasure. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon. Hope you are having a great week!
Miz Helen