Everyday Mom's Meals: Mail Call
_____

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Mail Call

I am 30 years old and I still get a thrill out of getting packages in the mail. Maybe it's b/c most of the mail I get now that I'm "all grown up" is either boring or depressing (I'm tired of bills!) or maybe it's simply b/c it means something was thinking of me and took the time to send a little "happy" my way. I'm also very good about paying it forward to others. In fact, I'm kind of known for it on both sides of the family. "Oh Krista, she's always sending out letters, cards, pictures, treats, etc." Last week when the mail carrier knocked on my door I got an extra special treat! It was a box w/ the return address label marked "Grammy". Of course Alex immediately thought she had sent him another care package of cookies, but not this time. This box had my name on it. Inside was something absolutely adorable. A "flip" cookbook from her church full of recipes from all the members and enclosed in 2 beautifully varnished pieces of wood! Grammy not only submitted A LOT of the recipes found inside, but designed it and made the wood pieces herself---I've told you before, she's talented! It is one of the most unique way to collect recipes I've ever seen and something I will treasure always. Of course I couldn't wait to try something out of it; and why not start w/ a simple dessert (actually it's another one of those "is it a salad" or "is it a dessert" that requires no baking and no heat!) It's summer and anything that can be chilled or frozen is always on my menu! So, thanks Grammy---you are and always will be what I aspire to me in the kitchen!

 Icebox Cherry Salad

1 20 oz crushed pineapple, drained
1 can cherry pie filling
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 16 oz. Cool Whip, thawed
1 c. chopped pecans

Fold all together. Put in 9x13 pan. Chill, or freeze. (I froze mine!)



Isn't that the cutest ever?




Shared on Celebrating Family July 19, 2011
Shared on This Chick Cooks July 20, 2011
Shared on Lark's Country Heart July 20, 2011
Shared on Gooseberry Patch July 20, 2011
Shared on Around My Family Table July 21, 2011
Shared on It's A Keeper July 21, 2011
Shared on Julie's Eats and Treats July 22, 2011
Shared on Make Ahead Meals July 24, 2011
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box July 26, 2011

6 comments:

KB and Whitesnake said...

Getting pressies in the mail is such a thrill. Yours sound great.

KB

Sallie said...

Mmmm! Cherry pie filling and sweetened condensed milk. Two of my favorites. This is a keeper. I found you through This Chick Cooks.

Anonymous said...

making this tonight yummy@

Tricia @ Recipe Roundup said...

Julie's Eats and Treats sent me! LOL! Not only does this look delicious...your picture is great!

carolinaheartstrings said...

This recipe brings back memories. Yum. I am going to start making this again. Thanks for sharing. Come over and visit. We have a great grilled squash recipe.

BreAna {Sugar and Spice and All Things Iced} said...

This looks yummy! Sounds like a great cool dessert!