Everyday Mom's Meals: That's Just Who I Am
_____

Friday, July 8, 2011

That's Just Who I Am

I have come to a very absolute conclusion. I am a citrus kind of girl! I like berries. I like chocolate. But for the most part if there is a choice between all three, 9 times out of 10 I'm going to go w/ the citrus choice. Orange, lemon, limes, they are all at the top of my favorites list. When I was little and we visited my grandparents in FL, their friends had a lemon tree in their backyard and one of my most favorite memories of those trips is picking lemons for fresh lemonade--once you drink that you'll never tolerate concentrate again! This probably doesn't come as a shock to all of you. After all you read these recipes every day and have w/o a doubt noticed this pattern: Mandarin Orange Cake, Chicken w/ Artichokes and Lemon, heck, I can't even marinate a cucumber w/o throwing in a little citrus zing (Marinated Cucumbers)!! The only conclusion I can come to is the fresh taste it leaves in my mouth. I like bright, verdant, clean flavors that give my food a little zip and almost jump around in my mouth. I needed a quick dessert, but something a little less sweet than the banana pudding we had last week. It was fantastic, but also very rich and this time I wanted something lighter. I actually found this on a Mexican cooking site as a reccomendation to go w/ spicy food b/c it would cool it down. (You know, the same way a crisp cold margarita does!) This is one of those JELLO (oh, the wonders of) "salads" that can technically be considered a side or a dessert. But like all the others I've ever eaten that fell into this category, I choose dessert. Every Thanksgiving my Grammy would have 2 or 3 "salads" similar to this one and I always ate them last. Not dessert mind you, after all there was pumpkin pie waiting, but a precursor to dessert :) Never along side my turkey and mashed potatoes. But if you prefer it as a side dish, I can see how it would make a perfect palate cleanser. For us though, it's a simple yet elegant dessert that Mommy can make when she is so dog tired picking up a spoon takes effort ,but since it has citrus in it, she will suck it up and enjoy!

Orange Whip Delight

12 oz. Cool Whip, thawed
1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple, drained
2 10 oz. cans mandarin oranges, drained
3/4 c. chopped walnuts
1/2 c. sweetened coconut
1 6 oz. box orange JELLO (I'm guessing any flavor would work)
1 1/2 c. hot water

Put JELLO into a large bowl. Pour in water. Stir well to dissolve. Let cool on counter until cool enough to put in refrigerator. Chill in fridge for 15-20 mins. You DO NOT want it set. When it's cool, and you stick your finger in, it should leave an orange coat on your finger. It should still be LIQUID form. Add Cool Whip and stir until mixed well. Add pineapple and mix well. Fold in oranges carefully as not to crush them. Add nuts and coconut and mix to combine. Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving. The longer is sits, the more firm it becomes.



Shared on Celebrating Family July 12, 2011
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box July 12, 2011
Shared on This Chick Cooks July 13, 2011
Shared on Gooseberry Patch July 13, 2011
Shared on It's A Keeper July 14, 2011
Shared on Simply Delish July 15, 2011

2 comments:

Bird Stalker Photography said...

oh that looks so yummy! Nice and cool for the summer heat.

Anonymous said...

made this tonight for tomorrow. it looks so good and I already tasted it-so yummy and cool, it will hit the spot tomorrow when it is hot. I am sure it will be a big hit with the family. Karen