Everyday Mom's Meals: Feels Like The First Time
_____

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Feels Like The First Time

The year is 1994. A very bright and talented 7th grader sits at a table w/ 3 other girls her age, waiting. What for you ask? A recipe. I just took you back to my Junior High School and my first week in Home Ec class :) I remember all of us being so excited we were going to bake something all by ourselves. The funny thing was we wouldn't be baking at all! Our first recipe to experiment w/ was No Bake Cookies :) I think that is pretty standard in Home Education classes across the country. Get kids used to recipes and measuring before introducing heat and fire, as to avoid distraction and possibly save the school from burning down! While I had helped my mom and grandmas in the kitchen numerous times, I remember feeling so "grown up" making something on my own and seeing the results---not to mention getting to eat them! Now here's the sad part of the tale......Adam never got this experience. First off, when I was in Junior High, he was a sophomore in college---cradle robber, ha ha--- but I'm talking about the fact that as a child he was allergic to chocolate! So his mom, wanting to make a dessert the whole family could enjoy, took the basic no bake recipe, omitted the cocoa and wah-lah--no bake peanut butter cookies!! Genius, right?? And to this day, they are one of the family's favorites sweet treats, myself included and now Alex too. And the funniest part?? Even though Adam's allergy to chocolate ended almost 30 years ago, she still makes them w/o every time! If it ain't broke, don't fix it! This is my version of those, and the only reason it's a tad different is b/c the first time I made them I was out of white sugar and had to use brown instead:) That's okay though--maybe someday years down the road, my daughter- in- law will be using my recipe b/c my grandkids love it so much, and they will tell the story of when grandma was a 7th grader, and it will feel like the first time all over again!

No Bake Peanut Butter Cookies
3 cups old fashioned rolled oats (sometimes takes a little more)
2 tsp vanilla
5 TBS peanut butter
1/2 c. milk
2 cups brown sugar
1/4 c. butter

Combine first  3 ingredients. Set aside. In a small sauce pan, combine milk, brown sugar and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat stirring often. Let hard boil for 1 minute. (Rapid, rolling boil). Add to oatmeal mixutre stirring well and rapidly. Spoon (heaping TBS) onto wax paper or plastic wrap and let set.



Shared On Around My Family Table July 14, 2011
Shared on It's A Keeper July 14, 2011
Shared on Simply Delish July 15, 2011
Shared on Lovely Little Snippets July 17, 2011
Shared on Make Ahead Meals July 18, 2011
Shared on Celebrating Family July 19, 2011
Shared on This Chick Cooks July 20, 2011
Shared on Hugs & Cookies Aug. 17, 2011
Shared on Everyday Sisters Nov. 6, 2011

5 comments:

Krista said...

Sure, I'd love to. Thanks for the invite!

Adrianne Surian said...

Saw you on lovely little snippets!

It's so hot this week, I vowed not to turn on the oven. I can manage a saucepan for a few minutes, though - how timely! I will have to try this out!

Happy to be your newest follower,
Adrianne
happyhourprojects.blogspot.com

Kaycee said...

Just finished making your recipe! I can't wait to devour them!!! We are packing them up for our first family vacation!!! Come see me over at craftyzoowithmonkeys.blogspot.com

DANIELLE said...

I AM TOTALLY GOING TO TRY THESE WITH MY SON! THANKS FOR LINKING THESE UP AT WONKA WEDNESDAY-WILLY WOULD BE PROUD OF THE GENIUS IN YOUR STORY!!

Kaycee said...

Made these to take for snacks on our vacation a few weeks ago! They were GREAT!!!! Thanks so much!!!

craftyzoowithmonkeys.blogspot.com