Everyday Mom's Meals: When It's Good, Make a Casserole
_____

Monday, July 30, 2012

When It's Good, Make a Casserole

I think one thing all busy moms can agree on, rather you are a work outside of or stay at home mom, is the fact that casseroles are a wonderful thing. In fact, I've been known to say a "good casserole is a busy mom's best friend". I remember my mom making some of the best casseroles when I was little and there is something so nostalgic about making one now. And I really get excited when I find a casserole recipe that is a take on something we already enjoy. Almost as if to say, "we like these 3 things, let's just throw them together and see what happens." Or when making a casserole allows me to cook something that is usually a little more labor intensive quickly and easily because it's a one dish wonder, as in my Cabbage Roll Casserole and Unstuffed Pepper Casserole.

But this idea from Pinterest was kind of unique to me because most of my casseroles are main dishes. I don't have that many that qualify as side dishes. Some yes, but not as many. So when I saw something based on Twice Baked Potatoes, which I've already shared with you. Take all the flavors from that side dish, combine them in a larger pan and wah-lah...a casserole perfect any night of the week, or to even share at your next barbecue!

Now I will fully disclose this warning label. This is NOT for those of you on a diet. As I told my family, this is something we'll have once in a while as a treat. Waist line friendly is the last description I would use, but hey, we all need to indulge every now and then, so why not do so with a good ole' casserole!

Twice Baked Red Potato Casserole  Adapted from Taste of Home
6-9 red potatoes, depending on size, baked
24 oz. sour cream
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
5 green onions, chopped
1 (2.1oz) package pre-cooked bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350. Chop baked potatoes into bite size cubes. Grease a 9x13 pan. Put half of the potatoes in bottom of pan. Top with half of bacon, green onions, sour cream, cheddar and mozzarella. Repeat layers, except onions! Season each layer w/ salt and pepper. Bake for 25 minutes until cheese is melted. Garnish w/ remaining green onions.

 



Shared at Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen July 30, 2012
Shared at Make Ahead Meals July 30, 2012
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box July 31, 2012 
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Aug. 1, 2012 
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Aug. 2, 2012 
Shared on The Country Cook Aug. 3, 2012 

2013 Superbowl and Chili


Casseroles at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

10 comments:

Ice Cream Display said...

Wow!! what a lovely twice baked red patato casserole,i like it and thank you for a recipe,
---------------

Ellen B Cookery said...

I agree. There's nothing like a good casserole. This looks so delicious!

My Life as Whitney said...

TWICED backed RED potato casserole!? Dying to make this!

Krista said...

Thanks everyone. It really is super yummy!

Brandi said...

Looks delicious. Can't go wrong with cheese! : )

Miz Helen said...

Hi Krista,
This is a wonderful casserole that we will really enjoy! Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Kim (Sunflower Supper Club) said...

I am speechless this looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing at the Weekend Potluck. Have a great week Krista!

Slice of Southern said...

This looks delishhh! I'd like to invite you to share your recipe on Southern Sundays. My linky party is going on now. Hope to see you there! www.asliceofsouthern.blogspot.com

Michelej said...

Can this be made ahead and refrigerated for couple days ?

Krista said...

Hi Michele, No I would not recommend doing that. Merry Christmas!