Everyday Mom's Meals: Indpendence Day Copy Cat
_____

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Indpendence Day Copy Cat

If you are a fan of KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken for those of you not familiar) and their yummy side dishes, then I've got a treat for you! Or if you are having a big backyard barbecue in a couple days to celebrate our great nation's birthday, then I've got a treat for you too! If both statements describe you, WOW what a lucky day you're having! For me, KFC is kind of synonymous with family picnics. When I was little one of our favorite things to do as a family was go on a Sunday picnic. And our favorite foods to eat on a blanket on a warm, sunny Sunday afternoon? Our KFC favorites. Dad would hit the drive- thru on our way out of town and pick up a big "bucket" of original recipe, biscuits and usually a couple sides. Oh what a feast it would be for the three of us. And 9 times out of 10 one of those side dishes was coleslaw. no matter how many different types of coleslaw I try in my life, KFC will always have one of my favorites. There isn't anything fancy about it, but it always tastes so fresh with just a little "zing". Now I can enjoy it any time I want because of this copy cat version! I've carried on the love of picnics with my family, so I can't wait to include this in our next picnic basket. If you need one more side for your 4th of July party, treat your guests to a little KFC at home!

KFC Coleslaw  From Group Recipes
1 head cabbage, finely diced (if I use prepackaged, I chop it up even more)
1/4 c. finely diced carrots
2 TBS minced onion
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4 c. milk
1/2 c. mayo
1/4 c. buttermilk
1 1/2 TBS white vinegar
2 1/2 TBS lemon juice

In a large bowl combine cabbage, carrots and minced onion. To prepare dressing, combine sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayo, buttermilk, vinegar and lemon juice. Whisk until combined. Pour over cabbage mixture.  Mix well. Cover and refrigerate until serving, or overnight. Before serving, garnish with parsley if desired.


Shared on The Country Cook July 7, 2012
Cabbage at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

9 comments:

Lori said...

Nice. Thanks for posting. My family likes Coleslaw and I will try this. I think I will use low fat mayo to cut down on the calories. I appreciate your time.

Amy said...

Ooh! Does it taste like real thing???

Amy said...

like the* real thing...

Krista said...

It tastes as close to the real things as I've had outside the actual restaurant :)

Unknown said...

A question about the vinegar - is it white wine or just white? Sounds awesome!!!

Krista said...

It's just "white" or sometimes called "white distilled"...the really cheap stuff in the store. LOL :) Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Finally a recipe for coleslaw my husband loves. KFC slaw is his favorite and he says it taste just like it. I dont eat it, but for those of you who do this ones a keeper. Thanks!

Krista said...

Thanks so much for stopping by! I'm glad he enjoyed it so much!

Mari said...

I was looking for a Bob Evans copycat recipe and found this. I completely forgot to add onions and it was still delicious. I think my search is over. I'm making it again today and this time I'll be sure to include onions!