Everyday Mom's Meals: More From My Heart To His
_____

Friday, July 27, 2012

More From My Heart To His

I am so incredibly lucky to have the most amazing husband in the world. (Yes, I know other wives are saying,  "Nope, mine is". But I think we can all think that about our own and brag accordingly!) He is so supportive of everything I try to do or take on, succeed or fail. And he is always encouraging me when I don't think I can do something or have already done it and not had it turned out the way I envisioned it. So when I get the chance to show him, even in a small way, how much I appreciate him and everything he does for me and our family, I will jump at the chance. And what a better time to spoil him, and show him a little extra love than his birthday weekend?

I've told you before how much Adam loves hearts of palm. I also shared with you the first recipe I ever used them in, Hearts of Palm Salad, which he loved and I make whenever I can. But they are still something I'm always looking for new ways to use. So when I saw this salad on Pinterest I was excited because it used asparagus, but then when I read further and discovered it also considered hearts of palm I was thrilled! This absolutely screams of summer both in taste and color. The freshness and crispness of the veggies to the hint of lemon flavor, it's the perfect star for summer ingredients. Plus, there is no mayo or cream, so it travels very well. Which is exactly what I did with it~ I made it in the morning and took it with us to my in-laws for Adam's birthday celebration in the evening.

It's my job to make sure my man feels special and loved every day, and they always say the "way to a man's heart is through is stomach", so who am I to argue?

Asparagus Salad From Kayln's Kitchen
1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
4 green onions, chopped
10 oz. can hearts of palm, drained
1 1/2 TBS lemon juice
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 1/2 TBS olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a medium pot, bring salted water to boil. Cut asparagus into diagonal pieces. When water is boiling, cook asparagus 2-3 minutes. Drain well. While asparagus is cooking, combine lemon juice, vinegar and Dijon. Whisk in oil until well combined. After draining asparagus add to a large bowl. Mix 2 tsp of dressing with warm asparagus to marinate. Slice hearts of palm in half and then chop into "half moon" shapes. Combine tomatoes, green onions and hearts of palm with asparagus. Pour remaining dressing over top. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Chill until serving.


Shared on The Country Cook July 27, 2012
Shared on Addicted to Recipes July 29, 2012 
Shared on Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen July 30, 2012 
Shared on Make Ahead Meals July 30, 2012

Asparagus at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

3 comments:

Ellen B Cookery said...

WOW! this looks so delicious! I love discovering new recipes using asparagus.

Tabitha (a.k.a. Penny) said...

Pinning... and trying to figure out what Hearts of Palm is. But, anything with red wine vinegar is a winner in my book. Thanks for linking up at Weekend Potluck. :)

Krista said...

Tabitha, thanks for pinning! I would say Hearts of Palm remind me somewhat of an artichoke heart. My husband introduced me to them a few years ago.I also posted a link on your FB wall from Wikipedia :)