Everyday Mom's Meals: Pick Me Up In The Heat
_____

Friday, July 13, 2012

Pick Me Up In The Heat

Many days, I am so busy during the morning and early afternoon I don't even realize if I'm getting tired or not. I guess it's just what I like to call "mommy mode". You know what I'm talking about. We are so busy running here and there with the kids, or cleaning the house, or working, or keeping them entertained we just don't have time to dwell on the fact that maybe we didn't sleep well the night before, or like me sometimes hardly at all. Yes, I'm an occasional insomniac, from way back! I've never been one to go to bed early, and to this day, I'm quite the night owl. I think that is one of the reasons why Adam and I fell in love because he was up all night as a radio deejay and I was awake to listen. (Awwwww....) And then of course, once you have kids, you don't sleep through the night again! Not necessarily b/c they aren't sleeping (Yes, we're the parents others want to smack b/c our baby slept through the night at 4 weeks and never looked back!), but b/c as a mom, you just have so many things running through your head, you can't shut it off to sleep. So anyway, a lot of days, around 3pm I start to hit a wall, and my eyes start to droop. Well, that just isn't allowed! I've got too much to do! My cure? In the winter time I brew a pot of coffee and treat myself to a hot cup and sit down for a few minutes. And usually it works like a charm, I get my 2nd wind and I'm ready to go again. But when the thermometer reads 100+, I'm sorry, coffee is the last thing on my mind. It's just too darn hot. I know some can drink it no matter what the temp, but I just can't. But iced coffee....that's a different story! Why not. Same concept, just cold and refreshing. Plus, making it at home instead of paying $4 in a drive thru somewhere, I save money, and can make as much as I need/want! If you're like me and need a little pick me up, rather in the morning, or in the middle of the afternoon, try this creamy tasty energy boost!

Peppermint Vanilla Iced Coffee Adapted from Folgers
1/2 c. your favorite ground coffee (I like Dunkin Donuts)
3 c. cold water, divided
1/2 c. sugar.
1/2 c. half and half, chilled
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
Ice Cubes

Brew coffee in coffee maker using 1 1/2 cups water. Combine hot brewed coffee and sugar in glass bowl or pitcher. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Stir in remaining cold water and half and half. Add vanilla and peppermint and mix well. Chill until ready to serve. Serve over ice.


Shared on The Country Cook July 13, 2012
Shared on Make Ahead Meals July 16, 2012 
Shared on Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen July 16, 2012 
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box July 17, 2012
Coffee at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

1 comment:

Ellen B Cookery said...

This is just what I need. I love cold coffee and peppermint as well!