Everyday Mom's Meals: Cool Treats and Grilled Meats {Indiana Family of Farmers}
_____

Monday, July 23, 2012

Cool Treats and Grilled Meats {Indiana Family of Farmers}

I am so excited for this post! It is my first as a Table Talk Contributor for Indiana Family of Farmers.


 I am so proud to be a part of this wonderful organization supporting my home state and our amazing farmers. I may not have grown up on a farm, but I have lived in Indiana my whole life, surrounded by some of the nation's top producers of the grains, produce and meats Americans eat every day!

Summer time means a lot of things in the realm of food. Maybe in your family it's the time you enjoy eating fresh fruits and veggies from your backyard garden. Or maybe it means anything and everything you can throw on the grill will find it's way to the table with a "cooked open an open flame" flavor. Or maybe it's the time of year your family loves to bust out the ice cream maker and cool off with something sweet on those hot summer nights. (After all July is National Ice Cream month! And Indiana is #2 in the nation for ice cream and low fat ice cream production!)

All of these describe my family and we find as many ways to make them happen as we can all summer long. But ice cream isn't the only cool treat we love to include in our summer ritual. How about popsicles? I love to see Alex enjoying a cold, dripping down his hands, popsicle in the hot summer sun. There is just something so nostalgic about it. 

What about making your own popsicles? Until now, I never have, but thanks to IFOF we are now homemade popsicle makers for life! The flavor combinations are endless, and IFOF even has some recipes to inspire you! As soon as I saw the one with orange and cream, I knew exactly which one Alex would love the most! How fun and easy for little ones to get in on the action! Getting kids into the kitchen making sweet treats is a not only a "cool" activity for summer vacation, but it also gives parents a chance to teach them about the foods they love, promoting healthy eating habits for life!

Want another great activity for kids to learn more about the foods they eat, and where they comes from? After you purchase the ingredients for this recipe, go to WhereisMyMilkFrom.com and find out the source of your dairy products. What a fun, interactive way for your kids to appreciate the foods they enjoy every day, and those who work so hard to make them available!
Alex stirring the popsicle mixture.

So get your kids into the kitchen and whip up some yummy refreshing popsicles for the next 90 degree day (we've had a lot of those this year in Indiana). Have fun! Lick away!

Want to learn more about IFOF? You can also find them on Facebook and Twitter.

Orange Cream Popsicles
6 oz. can orange juice concentrate, thawed
2 c. vanilla yogurt
2 tsp vanilla extract
Popsicle molds OR 3 ounce cups and craft sticks
Stir all ingredients together until smooth.  Pour mixture into popsicle molds or paper cups. Insert sticks and freeze.


Yummy cool treat on a HOT day!


Shared on Make Ahead Meals July 22, 2012
Shared on Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen July 23, 2012 
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box July 24, 2012 
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain July 25, 2012 
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage July 26, 2012 
Shared on The Country Cook July 27, 2012


*These were made with the Zoku Quick Pop Maker provided to my family by IFOF*
 
Disclaimer: IFOF provided me with a gift package for inspiration on this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.


Pin It

6 comments:

Winnie said...

These are looking just great!
Love the idea of using orange juice - the flavor is perfect for summer

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. My husband is going to love you and he doesn't even know you. Haha He has a thing for orange creamsicles. Can't wait to try them! When I do, I'll feature them on my blog and be sure to refer back to you. :) Thanks for the recipe! New follower

Miz Helen said...

Hi Krista,
Looks like you'al are having a wonderful summer! This is an awesome summertime treat that we will really enjoy. Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Bobbi | Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen said...

All I can say is yummmmmm!! Thank you so much for your shares on Manic Monday Krista <3 you rock!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing at Weekend Potluck! While scrolling through and opening the ones that catch my eye...I always find myself at your site! :)
~Tonya from 4 little Fergusons

Krista said...

Thanks, Tonya. You're too sweet!