Everyday Mom's Meals: Soup Okay For Summer
_____

Friday, July 20, 2012

Soup Okay For Summer

I will be the first to admit soups are not a prevalent item on our dinner table during the dog days of summer. I think most of us would agree that when it's 100+ degrees outside, about the last thing we want to dig into at the end of a long day is a big bowl of hot and steamy soup. This being said though, if I find a soup recipe that makes my mouth water I'm not waiting for the temperature to drop to try it out. That was the case when I found this on Pinterest. The moment I saw it I knew it had to be a copy cat, or close to it, of the soup we love at our favorite sushi restaurant. We never enjoy our favorite maki roll without the house salad and "clear soup". In fact, back in February when Alex was incredibly sick with bronchitis and strep throat, their soup was the only thing he requested to eat!! (And I can't say I blame him, b/c the next week when he had shared his germs with me, I too asked "Daddy" to bring some home! So warm and cozy when you're not feeling well.)  Made with a broth of veggies and some flavorings, this soup is incredibly simple, but bursting with flavor. Not to mention the addition of mushrooms, which we love! I'm so glad I "broke" my own rule about soups in the summer so we could try this one because it is now something I can make at home any time we want it! After all, rules were meant to be broken! Especially when delicious food is involved!

Clear Soup Adapted From Carries Cooking and Recipes
5 ribs celery, chopped into large chunks
1 small onion, chopped into large chunks
2 carrots, chopped into large chunks
2 TBS fresh ginger, peeled and chopped in large chunks
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 TBS chicken bouillon granules
3 TBS beef bouillon granules
1 lb. thinly sliced mushrooms
8 c. water
1/2 c. green onions, finely chopped

In a large pot or dutch oven combine the celery, onion, carrot, ginger, garlic, and a few of the mushrooms. Add chicken bouillon, beef bouillon, and water. Place the pot over high heat, and bring to a rolling boil. When the mixture reaches boiling, cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook for 45 minutes. If too much water evaporates, add more and continue to simmer. After it's cooking for at least 45 minutes strain the cooked soup and discard all of the vegetables, leaving the broth. In individual serving bowls, place 1/4 c. sliced mushrooms. Gently ladle hot broth over top. Sprinkle with chopped green onions.
*NOTE* To easily peel fresh ginger, use the side of a small teaspoon. Gently rub outer layer with spoon and it will peel. Place leftover ginger root in freezer to store. It will keep for a long time.


Shared on The Country Cook July 21, 2012
Shared on Make Ahead Meals July 22, 2012 
Shared on Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen July 23, 2012 
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box July 24, 2012

Soup at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

1 comment:

Bobbi | Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen said...

Thanks for sharing this and you are right it does remind me of a soup we get at a local Japanese restaurant.