Everyday Mom's Meals: Just Had to Share
_____

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Just Had to Share

I was watching 30 Minute Meals this afternoon & this is what Rachael Ray was cooking. When she first described it I thought "no thanks" but as she was cooking it I started to think "yes please". It just looked so good. I went straight to foodtv.com and downloaded the recipe. I'm not sure when I will try it, but I know I will. I will note that while the recipe calls for red wine, I don't always have it on hand, so I might substitute red grape juice, in the same quantity. The only thing I'm concerned about finding in the store is dried figs. I have no idea where to even look. So I think I might take a couple weeks to try to find those before I put it on my menu plan. So if anyone has seen them before or knows exactly where I look to find them, please do share!



Chicken with Figs
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 lb thick cut pancetta, cut into sticks (she said you can substitute bacon)
2 lbs. boneless chicken thighs, breasts or mixture, cut into large chunks
salt/pepper
flour for dredging
1 large onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
14-16 dried figs, halved
1 cup dry red wine
1- 1/2 cups chicken stock (I use broth)
1/4 cup fresh parsley
1 lemon zested
1 TBS fresh thyme (I will use 1 tsp dried)

Heat a deep skillet over medium heat. Add oil and the pancetta. Brown pancetta 3-4 minutes then remove w/ a slotted spoon and drain. While pancetta browns, season chicken w/ s&p and dredge in flour lightly. Brown chicken a few minutes on each side on high heat, in same skillet after pancetta removed. Scoot meat to edges of skillet and add onions, garlic and figs. Saute 5 minutes, combine chicken w/ onions and figs. Add wine and cook it down 5 minutes until 1/3 cup remains. Add chicken stock, parsley, lemon zest and thyme to chicken and stir to combine. Reduce heat and cook 10 minutes.

2 comments:

Tricia said...

I have seen dried figs in the produce section at Wal-mart, in the refrigerator cases. I had to pick them up to look at them because I didn't know what they were! As a side note, I recently learned that my host sister from Japan married a man and he and his family are fig farmers! who new?! :-) Love ya!

Krista said...

Wow. I guess I didn't know there were such things as fig farmers. LOL Thanks for the tip--I'll keep my eye out!