Everyday Mom's Meals: Easy Quick Breakfast
_____

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Easy Quick Breakfast

Or I guess it could be called Easy Quick After School Snack too. I love recipes that are so versatile that I immediately thing of multiple ways I can use them. This ones comes to me from my fellow foodie & blogger Real Mom's Kitchen as she is trying to offer up healthy recipes for 2011. Anything that can be cooked in the microwave is great w/ me! And I think this would make a great school day breakfast for Alex, or a super healthy after school snack for when he is simply starving when he gets home. I'm excited to try it, and I hope he is too!

Microwave Granola
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup bran flakes
1 cup peanuts or cashews
1 cup wheat germ (I might leave this out, simply b/c I don't have it on hand)
1 cup sunflower seed kernels
1/2 cup coconut
1/4 cup sliced almonds
3/4 cup pecans
1 cup raisins, craisins or other dried fruit

Combine butter, sugar, honey, water, salt and cinnamon in a large glass bowl. Microwave on high for 8 minutes, stirring half way through. Mix in remaining ingredients except dried fruit. Microwave on high for 4 minutes, stirring half way through. Granola should be a golden color. Mix in dried fruit. Spread on a cookie sheet to cool stirring occasionally to break up large clumps.

3 comments:

Cheri said...

I tried this recipe, and the kids loved it!! Thanks!!

Krista said...

Awesome! I am so anxious to try it too!

Tricia said...

I made this yesterday and it was really good! I was surprised by how much it made. Mine wasn't cruncy as I had expected. I put it in the oven for a little and it helped and would have helped more had I left it in longer. I've been warming it and eating it with milk on it..yum!