Everyday Mom's Meals: New Recipe Night, Take 2
_____

Friday, January 14, 2011

New Recipe Night, Take 2

Yep that's right it's another "newbie" in our house tonight. Experimentation is beginning to be my friend. This one isn't anything crazy though. It's basically a jazzed up burger, that will hopefully taste like one of our favorite foods, a Greek Gyro. Oh my how we love our Gyros. Back in May I tried another recipe for burgers like these, and while they were good, they weren't quite what I was looking for, and they had a homemade sauce on them; while these have store bought ingredients to help the process along. This recipe comes from the same cook book Wednesday's did, Better Homes and Gardens Super Market Shortcuts with the time saving ingredient being preformed, shaped patties. I think burgers like these are a great time saver and totally worth the extra cost if you are doing a large amount for a party or get together. I've purchased them myself many times if I know I'm feeding a ton of people. But since it's only the 3 of us, and I have a whole freezer stocked w/ beef, I made my own beef patties. There are a couple things I'm going to differently, which will be noted in the recipe; and I will say that these are nice b/c the additions to make them "Greek" are not in the actual meat, so they can be kid friendly very easily by leaving off the extras. So, we'll see how it goes and if I'm more successful than the previous try!

Greek-Style Burgers
4 4oz. uncooked ground beef or ground turkey patties
salt and pepper ( I substituted an all purpose seasoning I use a lot)
1/3 cup bottled cucumber ranch dressing
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 TBS snipped fresh mint (I am omitting this b/c I don't like the flavor)
4 lettuce leaves (they gyros we get do not have lettuce on them, so I'm leaving off)
4 kaiser rolls (I am using hamburger buns b/c I had them on hand)
4 tomato slices
white onion sliced (this was my addition b/c it's on the gyros)

Sprinkle patties w/ salt and pepper. Grill on a greased surface according to thickness. Allow 10 minutes for 1/2 inch thick patties or 14-18 minutes for 3/4 inch thick. (I will be using my indoor grill pan) Meanwhile, for cucumber sauce, in a small bowl combine salad dressing, feta cheese, and mint. Assemble burger w/ toppings and sauce.

No comments: