Everyday Mom's Meals: Growing Boy
_____

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Growing Boy

Growth spurt. Yes, Alex is once again going through one. I swear, this boy is going to be 6 feet tall by the age of 10 if he keeps going. And one of surest ways we always know Alex is growing again is he craves carbs! Potatoes and bread---those are what he could live on if I let him. So here I go again, being a good Mommy and trying to find new things to do w/ potatoes to satisfy my little boy. Luckily though I've decided to make something that both Mommy and Daddy love too--German Potato Salad. I didn't have a recipe for it, and I've never made it before, but I have a favorite out there and it's at the St. James Restaurant in Avilla, Indiana. They specialize in German food, and I love the warm, bacon flavored, sweet and sour flavor of their potato salad. I went looking for a recipe I thought would recreate that and my mom helped me. We finally found one in The Grange Cookbook from Pennsylvania that she has had for I think 100 years. So it's on the menu tonight and I'm crossing my fingers!

German Potato Salad

4-5 potatoes diced and cooked until done (I actually boiled mine whole, will cool, peel and then slice b/c that is how SJ serves theirs)
1 onion finely diced
1/2 lb. bacon fried crisp
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar

Mix potatoes and onion in bowl. In skillet, remove bacon. In drippings, add sugar, water and vinegar and thicken w/ corn starch. Add crumbled bacon and pour over vegetables and mix.

No comments: