Everyday Mom's Meals: I'm Not A Wine Drinker But...
_____

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I'm Not A Wine Drinker But...

Yes, unlike many women out there, and men too I guess, I don't really enjoy wine. There are a few kinds I've tried and have enjoyed, but it's just not "my thing". However, I will cook w/ wine; and when I do I always make sure it's good wine. I've watched enough chefs on TV say over and over "only cook w/ wine you would drink" to know it's not a good idea to skimp on quality when you are going to concentrate the flavor. So even though "wine" was in the title of this recipe, it very much caught my attention, and I think it would make a great side dish, especially for a steak dinner. I actually found it in the container of mushrooms I was chopping up for supper, so thank you Kroger produce department for the idea :)

Red Wine Mushrooms
2 TBS butter
1 garlic clove crushed
1 8 oz package of mushrooms, cleaned & cut in half
2 TBS chopped onion
1 tsp fresh tarragon, chopped (I think I might omit this. Tarragon isn't one of my favorite herbs)
1/2 cup red wine

In a large skillet over medium heat melt butter. Saute garlic 30 seconds and stir in mushrooms, onion and tarragon. Season w/ salt and pepper. Saute until mushrooms start to brown, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes. Add red wine and reduce heat Simmer until wine is evaporated and mushrooms are tender, about 10 minutes.

*NOTE* Although this recipe says to, you should never salt mushrooms until they have already started to brown. Salt brings out moisture and if you add it too soon, the mushrooms will never brown. Something to think about when making this.

No comments: