Everyday Mom's Meals: Steak House at Home
_____

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Steak House at Home

Nine times out of ten when Adam and I go out for a steak dinner, he will order a baked sweet potato for one of his sides. He loves them w/ butter, brown sugar and cinnamon; and b/c of this I make them all the time at home too. So when I put steak on the meal plan for this week I knew I wanted something w/ sweet potatoes, but something different. So I turned to my trusted friend, the internet. I found this on a southern food website, and am very excited to try it. (It is the 2nd new recipe of the week!) I think it will give us all the same flavors of the baked sweet potatoes, with a few extra and a different texture. And besides, how bad can something turn out if it has brown sugar, butter and pecans on top???

Sweet Potato Casserole
1 large can sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup melted butter

Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup chopped pecans

Combine first 6 ingredients. Pour into a buttered 1 1/2-2 quart casserole dish. Mix topping ingredients together and sprinkle on top. Bake @ 350ยบ for 30-40 minutes until hot and browned.

Pin It



5 comments:

Tricia said...

Almost identical to my recipe, except mine calles for 1 tsp cinnamon mixed in with the sweet potato mixture as well. I think it tastes like pumpkin pie...yummy! Sometimes I mix it up and use an alternate topping that my mom likes:

1 C Ritz Crackers
1/2 C chopped pecans
1/3 C brown sugar
1 stick melted butter

Krista said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Krista said...

This was a HUGE hit. Probably one of the best "new" recipes I've tried. We all agreed it's definitely a "keeper".

Krista said...

I was going to add cinnamon to this one too Trish! And thanks for the topping idea!

Anonymous said...

this is a huge favorite of ours-thanks-Karen