Everyday Mom's Meals: Summer Skin
_____

Friday, June 1, 2012

Summer Skin

Today's post is still a recipe, but it's more for your skin than your stomach. June is here, and we all know that means swimsuit season is in full swing! Not to mention shorts, flip flops, cute skirts~ all those things we are able to avoid during the cold winter months. No more hiding under comfy sweaters that hide all those little spots we don't want to share with the world. My skin gets so dry during the winter months, it takes a lot of "prep work" before I'm ready to debut it again every spring & summer. Pedicures, body scrubs, exfoliates, they are all things I turn to for making sure my skin looks the best all summer long. But I'm not made of money either. I can't be running to the spa every week getting pampered. Well I guess I could, but we would never eat, the house would be filthy and my family would be in dirty clothes while the laundry piled up :-) So instead, I find ways of making salon quality product at home. A DIY spa, if you will. I've already shared my Sea Salt Hand Scrub, which continues to be a huge hit with all of you. So this time around I figured a sugar based one you can use in the shower to soften and moisturize your skin would be just as appreciated. Not to mention the citrus scent can wake you up and invigorate your morning. Feed your skin, treat it well, enjoy it while you can. It will be time to bust out those baggy sweaters before you know it!

Lemon Sugar Body Scrub Adapted from Self Magazine
1 1/2 c. raw sugar (I used Turbinado Sugar in the Raw- hence the brown color)
3/4 c. grapeseed oil
2 lemons, zested and juiced

Place sugar in a large bowl. Slowly pour in oil until it forms a thick paste. You want the sugar and oil to combine, but not totally dissolve. Add zest and juice from lemons. Stir well. If juice makes it a little too watery, add a bit more sugar. Store in an airtight container. Stir before each use.


Shared on Chef in Training June 5, 2012
Pin It

4 comments:

JLynn said...

I've been using Stretch Mark Cream from Apothederm http://apothederm.com/shop-products/body/stretch-mark-cream/ to get bikini ready and it's been working!!!

Michelle Day said...

Love this! I've always wanted to make my own sugar scrub. I’m visiting from Chef-in-training and would love for you to share this, or any other posts you would like to, at my Creative Thursday Link Party at http://www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com. Have a wonderful week.

Michelle

deb said...

You have a really nice site. I enjoy stopping by for inspiration. You have a lot of things I plan on trying this fall (I don't typically bake in the summer though I love baking).
I really like the inedible recipes such as this one. I love your salt scrub (try adding your pumpkin pie spice and lavender essential oil to this - very nice) and this one is amazing as well. I don't suppose you have a recipe for an amazing DIY facial scrub too? :)

Krista said...

Deb- Thanks for your kind words! I"m so glad you enjoy the blog :) I don't have a DIY facial scrub right now, but you've given me something to work on! Be on the lookout soon :)