Everyday Mom's Meals: More Alex In The Kitchen
_____

Friday, June 29, 2012

More Alex In The Kitchen

I say it again and again, all of you ~ my loyal, loving and supporting foodie friends & fans~ are like my family. And since that's how I think of you I love sharing experiences I have in the kitchen with my "real" family, especially Alex. By now you know how much my little man loves to be in the kitchen, helping me and/or creating something yummy himself. While I'm sure someday he will be preparing entire meals alone and surprising us with them, for now, we try to keep it simple, with easy recipes that sometimes resemble "assembly" cooking as I like to put it. Maybe a little chopping, with help from a grown-up helper, but mostly stirring and layering. He has already shared with you two fruit salads, Lemon and Key Lime, that he loves to make, but mostly to eat! Today he has another dish to show you that while I've been making it for years, this past Spring, was his first attempt at it. We love this as a dessert, but it's one of those that many people also see as a side dish, especially during the holidays. For me it's a classic that never goes out of style, and is perfect for a summer picnic or buffet. It's one of those things that people love, but kinda forget about until they eat it again. You will hear them say "Oh yeah, Ambrosia. I love that stuff, but haven't had it for years." If you are looking for another reason to get your kids into the kitchen with you, or maybe need a rainy day activity this summer, this salad is the perfect way to get them "cooking" and feeling great about another culinary accomplishment!

Ambrosia Originally Contributed and Published for RecipeLion
1 1 ( 20oz.) can pineapple tidbits, drained well
1 1 (8 oz.) container Cool Whip, thawed
·  1 ( 15 oz.) can mandarin oranges, drained well
·  1 ( 10 oz.) jar maraschino cherries, drained well, reserve 2 for garnish
·  2 cups mini marshmallows
·  2 cups shredded sweetened coconut

In a large bowl, combine all fruit. Add coconut and marshmallows. Mix well. Carefully fold in Cool Whip. Top with extra cherries.Chill for at least an hour before serving.

Stirring Fruit





Adding Marshmallows

Ready To Eat



Shared on The Country Cook June 29, 2012
Fruit at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

2 comments:

Sammo said...

we use Sour Cream instead of cool Whip. A little less sweet. No coconut (Sadly) and always EXTRA Cherries & Mandarin Oranges.
Every Family has their own version of this Classic.

Kim (Sunflower Supper Club) said...

My Nanny used to make this! Brings back some great memories. Thanks for sharing and linking up to the Weekend Potluck! Have a great rest of the weekend!
~Kim