Everyday Mom's Meals: Don't Throw It Out
_____

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Don't Throw It Out

On Monday I shared with you a kitchen mishap, if you will. A recipe that didn't turn out as lovely on the plate as it had in my mind. Oh well, those things happen, and while we didn't eat a lot of it, I wasn't going to let the entire thing go to waste. So I had all these sauteed mushrooms just asking to be used in a yummy way. It just so happened I was planning grilled steaks the next night, so I thought "Mmmmm steak...mushrooms....this seems like a sign from above. I mean how many times have you been at your favorite steakhouse and they asked if you would like to add mushrooms and onions to your steak? I'm guessing a lot! Many times I ask if I can just get the mushrooms on the side instead. They make a great little side dish and that way I can have some of my steak with them, and eat some on their own. Heck, I love mushrooms so much I could probably make a whole meal out of them alone, but that's hard to do when a beautiful juicy steak is staring at me from the case just begging to make it to my plate! I took those leftover mushrooms, added a few new things and presto~ the perfect topper for our sirloin steaks. Don't worry if you missed by blunder on Monday, I will share the entire recipe with you from start to finish. The next time you think you've ruined a meal, take a second look and see if any of it can be salvaged~ you never know what yummy treasures you'll find!

Sauteed Mushrooms {To top steaks}
1 lb. baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
2 TBS olive oil
2 TBS butter
1/2 c. chicken stock
3 shallots, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 tsp dried parsley, plus garnish
2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
2 TBS Steak Sauce (We like A1)
1 TBS grill seasoning

In a large skillet, bring butter and oil to medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until browned, about 10 minutes. Add salt, pepper and chicken stock. Boil for 3 minutes until slightly reduced. Add Worcestershire, steak sauce and grill seasoning. Reduce heat and all to simmer for 5 minutes. Add parsley. Remove w/ a slotted spoon and serve over your favorite steak.


Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain June 6, 2012
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage June 7, 2012 
Shared on The Country Cook June 8, 2012
Steak at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

3 comments:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

NEVER THROUGH IT OUT... leftovers is about my favorite ingredient

Dave

Erin said...

I could eat sauteed mushrooms for breakfast! YUM!

Alison @ Under the Big Oak Tree said...

I'm not a fan of mushrooms, but my husband LOVES them! I'll have to make this for him next time we have steak!