Everyday Mom's Meals: Salad On Fire
_____

Friday, June 15, 2012

Salad On Fire

During the summer when the thermometer climbs above 90, and with the lovely humidity we have in Indiana, it can feel like triple digits, it is very common to find salad on our dinner table. And not just as a side dish. We really enjoy having "dinner sized" salads as our meal. When it is that hot outside, heavy food just doesn't sit right, so we enjoy light, crisp and refreshing instead. Some that I've made staples in our summer diet are: Spinach Strawberry Salad, Greek Salad, and my copy cat version of Olive Garden Salad. We love all of these, but that doesn't mean I won't take inspiration when it hits me. I was having lunch at Bob Evans and they happened to have their Wildfire Barbecue Sauce on sale. Immediately I knew what my next salad creation would be, and another copy cat too...The Wildfire Chicken Salad. Bob Evans debuted this phenomenal barbecue sauce back when I still worked there (I quit 10 years ago this month) and it has been a favorite ever since. I remember when it first appeared on the menu and everyone wanted to know "What is Wildfire Salad Dressing?" Well, it's quite simple. You take equal parts Wildfire Barbecue and mix it with ranch dressing and it is food magic! Now I realize there will those of you who want to try this, but don't live near a Bob Evans to pick up a bottle of their barbecue, so I've offered some notes in the recipe that will help. This is a salad that eats like a meal. The addition of chicken makes it just a little heartier than the other ones I serve, and I have to say it is a very close reproduction! If you're looking for a filling salad to add to your summer time menu, this should definitely make your list. Or if you're a fan of the original, give it a try and tell me what you think!

Wildfire Chicken Salad Copy Cat Recipe
Makes 2 Dinner Sized Salads
1-2 hearts of Romaine lettuce, chopped (depending on size)
10 grape tomatoes, halved
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 c. frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained
1/2 c. black beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 c. Monterrey jack cheese
10 frozen breaded chicken tenders, baked according to package directions
Crushed tortilla chips or tostada shells
1 c. Wildfire Barbecue Sauce, divided
1/2 c. Ranch dressing

In a small bowl, combine 1/2 c. barbecue sauce and ranch dressing. Mix well. Set aside. On large dinner plates, evenly divide lettuce, tomatoes, onions, corn, beans, and cheese. Drizzle with dressing. When chicken tenders are baked, brush both sides with remaining barbecue sauce. Add 5 to each salad. Sprinkle crushed chips over top. Serve with extra dressing on the side if desired.
*NOTE* If you don't have the Wildfire Barbecue, I suggest using Jack Daniels Original. I made the same recipe substituting a couple different barbecues, and it came the closest. Also, I used Marzetti Ranch because it's what Bob Evans serves, but I think any would substitute well.


Shared on The Country Cook June 15, 2012
Shared on Make Ahead Meals June 18, 2012 
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box June 19, 2012
Salad at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

3 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

this looks wonderful! my mouth is watering!

DineIn said...

Looking nice to take down this hot dog salad :)

Carole said...

This is a very nice chicken dish. Would you be happy to link it in to my Chicken Edition of Food on Friday? This is the link . I found you via Melt in Your Mouth Monday.