Everyday Mom's Meals: Take Out At Home
_____

Monday, May 16, 2011

Take Out At Home

Let's be really honest. Some days calling for a pizza or Chinese take out is just easier and well, most of the time it's really good :) But if we're being honest about that, we have to also be truthful about this, it's not always the best for us. Chinese food is sometimes filled w/ MSG and preservatives we can't even pronounce and while it's delicious at the time, some of us pay for it later! So last year when I was craving Chinese food I decided to try an at home version that was easy, economical and healthy. This is a Sandra Lee original and like most things she makes it is 70% store bought ingredients and 30% fresh ones. I have to admit, I don't use a lot of Sandra's recipes, not b/c I don't like them, but b/c when I try to watch her show, "Semi- Cooking", I can't get past the fact that her shirt matches the drapes, or the "tablescape" that requires a trip to the craft store. Her cooking ideas are great but some of her other ones just aren't me. Luckily I found this recipe online at foodnetwork.com so I didn't have to sit through another "cocktail time". The first time I made this Adam wondered where I had gotten it from- he didn't believe I had made it from scratch. That should tell you how yummy it is! I usually serve it some rice, or a packaged teryaki noodle found in the store. So put down the white take out boxes, grab some chopsticks and give it a try!!

Beef Stir Fry

1 sirloin or round steak, thinly sliced
1/2 c. sliced onion
1 TBS minced garlic ( 1-2 cloves)
1 12 oz. frozen vegetable stir fry mix
2 cans mushrooms
2 TBS teryaki sauce (I sometimes add a little more)
Assorted other veggies you like (This time I'm adding frozen shelled edamame)
Soy Sauce to taste
Vegetable oil

Heat enough vegetable oil in electric skillet to cover bottom to 350. Saute meat until almost done. (Can season w/ salt and pepper, but be careful w/ the salt if going to add soy later). Add onion and keep stirring until onion is soft. Add garlic (I grate mine) and stir. Add mushrooms, vegetable mix, and any other veggies if desired. Fry until veggies are almost done. Add teryaki and 1/8 c. water and simmer until flavors blend. Taste and add more teryaki and soy sauce if desired. Serves warm w/ rice or noodles.



Edamame on FoodistaEdamame

No comments: