Everyday Mom's Meals: Just Curious
_____

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Just Curious

What I am about to say may alarm you. Today I "Googled" corn on the cob to see proper cooking instructions. See, I knew you're eyes would be big right now. No, it's not that I don't know how to cook it, I just wanted to see if there was a general consensus on how you should. What I discovered is there are a lot of different opinions and ideas, each pretty much as good as the next. I think corn on the cob is one of those things that I learned from my mom, who learned from her mom, and so on and so on. I don't think most people are every "taught" how to do it, they just watch and then do it. But what I found more interesting than anything is that there is an entire website devoted to just cooking corn on the cob. It's actually very informative and has methods for grilling, steaming, boiling, and even the microwave. So instead of giving you a detailed recipe I will just refer you to the site itself in the hope that maybe you might be a little curious also!

www.howtocookcornonthecob.com



Corn on FoodistaCorn

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always boil corn on the cob for about 8-10 min. I always add 3 tbl. of sugar to the water also-a hint I got from my mother-in-law. it makes the corn sweeter. you should try it. I even do that with canned corn. works the same. Karen S.

Krista said...

8-10 minutes is exactly how long I cook it also. I think the mistake people make is they think you start "counting" time when the corn goes in, not realizing, it's 8-10 minutes, once the water comes back up to a boil. I will have to keep the sugar idea in mind, thanks!

Carla said...

After the corn is ready, I drain the water and put the corn back in the hot pot. Then I drop in butter and swirl the butter around till it melts and coats the corn. Viola! No more messy, slippery, run-away buttering of the corn on the cob!

Krista said...

How smart of you Aunt Carla! Right now only Adam and I are playing the "chase the corn w/ butter" game since I have to cut Alex's off the cob--no front teeth makes a bowl necessary. LOL I will have to try this!