Everyday Mom's Meals: The Best Things Come In Small Packages
_____

Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Best Things Come In Small Packages

One of Adam's favorite sandwiches (and mine too) is a really really good Reuben, but unfortunately it's pretty hard to find one that is that perfect blend of flavors, and a lot of times places claim to have a great one only to disappoint us. There used to be a Schlotsky's Deli in Fort Wayne, and they had, hands down, the best Reuben we've ever had. Sadly they closed and since we haven't found one that quite lived up to their standards. It's funny to me  that I never thought to try to make them myself, but that's all changed now. I came upon this recipe on For The Love of Cooking and it was like light bulbs turning on, angels singing, a moment of clarity!! If you want something done right, do it yourself! So tonight I am going to try to capture some of that excellence we remember so well and see if I can master the Reuben!! I have to tell you though, I couldn't find any cocktail bread at the store that looked good, so I bought full size deli rye, and will be making "full size" sandwiches instead. But the recipe is exact to make the tiny ones. Is it wrong it's not even noon and I can't wait until supper??


Reuben Sliders

1 TBS mayonnaise
2 TBS ketchup
1-2 tsp sweet pickle relish
Cocktail rye bread
Pastrami
Sauerkraut- drained well
Swiss Cheese

Combine the mayo, ketchup and relish in a small bowl and mix well. Spread a bit of the ketchup mixture on each slice of cocktail rye bread. Layer one slice of bread w/ pastrami and add a bit of sauerkraut and top w/ some cheese. Preheat a skillet over medium heat (I will be using a griddle). Butter both slices of bread, if desired and cook 3-4 minutes until crispy and golden brown on both sides.

*NOTE* Obviously since I'm using larger slices of bread, the quantity of sauce needed will increase due to surface area. I am going to triple the recipe for the sauce to accommodate for this.

Beef Pastrami on FoodistaBeef Pastrami

No comments: