Everyday Mom's Meals: Fresh From My Kitchen
_____

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Fresh From My Kitchen

Not very often do you get a recipe from me the instant I make it, or in this case while I'm making it!!! Especially one that I've made up myself! This is an extra special treat, I know! Yes, as I type this my side dish for tonight's supper has just went into the oven, and it was something I came up w/ 5 minutes ago. If you read the meal plan, we were planned to have mashed potatoes and gravy w/ our meatloaf and corn on the cob tonight, but to be honest, I just wasn't in the mood. So I'm looking at this bag of potatoes saying, what can I do easily and will be done in an hour when the meatloaf is. And then it came to me! The inspiration? My waitressing days. From the ages of 16-21 I was a waitress at Bob Evans, and one of the things we were known for was our home fries. No, they weren't hash browns (although ironically enough, they now serve shredded hash browns), they were home fries-diced potatoes, seasoned and cooked on the flat top grill. People seem to be in 2 groups, either they loved them or they were ticked we didn't have traditional hash browns. So I'm staring at these potatoes and decided I can do that, but even better, I can do them in the oven (less babysitting). Here is what I came up with--I think they would also be perfect for a brunch! See what happens when you start staring at a bag of potatoes??!!

Baked Home Fries

3-4 baking potatoes, scrubbed, peel left on
Olive Oil
Salt/Pepper
Paprika
(or any other herbs/spices you enjoy)

Pat potatoes dry w/ paper towel. Dice into 1 inch cubes. Place in a 9x13 pan. Drizzle liberally w/ oil and season w/ salt, pepper and paprika. Bake @ 350 for approx 1 hour until fork tender, stirring once in a while.


Shared on Amee's Savory Dish Sept. 2, 2011
Pin It

6 comments:

Krista said...

These are great left over too. Just put some in a dry skillet and let come back up to temp. The residual oil will crisp them even more!

Martina J said...

Oh I really enjoy some home fries. I usually make them for breakfast. Most times when I don't have enough bread in the house and I have potatoes, I make home fries. I also like to use the small pink skinned or brown skinned potatoes - just have to cut them in four!
www.whatocook.com

Ann from Sumptuous Spoonfuls said...

Looks yummy ... I think I'll have to make some with my dad's purple potatoes. Wouldn't that be pretty? :)

Krista said...

Oooo that would be gorgeous! Great idea :)

Anonymous said...

great simple pan fries, (real hash browns :)

Krista said...

Absolutely! Good for breakfast, lunch or dinner!