Everyday Mom's Meals: The Only Way I Can
_____

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Only Way I Can

When our cousin was home from college for holiday break, he and I got into a very lengthily discussion about the difference between Coney Dogs and Chili Dogs. And like many subjects, we discovered this was yet something else we definitely agreed on. There is a huge difference between the two, and the terminology is not interchangeable.

I've already told you how much our family loves Coney Dogs. So much so that I had to recreate a recipe at home to match the local diner that serves them. And I'm not even going to try to lie, I think we absolutely prefer the coney style over the typical chili dog any day of the week. In fact for me, I can honestly say I'm not a fan of a "regular" chili dog whatsoever, and actually didn't eat the coney ones here in town for years because I thought they were the same until Mr. Everyday convinced me to try them; and I was instantly hooked.

For those of you who don't know, coney sauce has no beans, and the meat is broken up into a finer consistency. And the sauce itself is thinner than a chili sauce, a little more watery if you will. And these were the differences our cousin and I were talking about; and airing our frustration when a menu reads "Coney Dog" when indeed it's a chili dog. Or when people say "They are the same thing." Uh, no they are not!

But this recipe, which was given to me a few years back, is the only way I can eat an actual chili dog. And it would not taste the same using my coney sauce, so I guess the chili does have it's place. I enjoy this casserole because it's a kid friendly meal that can be done in no time after a busy day. I love to top it the same way we do our coney dogs, or a hot bowl of chili~ with a little freshly chopped white onion. The burst of crunch and flavor really rounds out the dish.

If you are a chili dog fan, you too will appreciate this meal. And if you are like us, and enjoy it's cousin, the coney, go ahead and give it a chance. I truly think you won't regret it!

Chili Dog Casserole
2 (15 oz.) cans chili with beans
6 hot dogs
6 corn tortillas, small size
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 small white onion, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 425. Pour both cans of chili into 9x11 baking dish. Lay each hot dog in a tortilla, roll and place on chili seam side down. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese to desired amount. (I probably used about 3/4 c.) Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes until hot dogs are cooked and everything is heated through. Remove foil, garnish with onions and serve.







Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Jan. 29, 2013
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Jan. 30, 2013
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Jan. 31, 2013
Shared on The Country Cook Feb. 1, 2013



8 comments:

Turnips 2 Tangerines said...

This recipe is great!! I love "dogs" Stopping by from Full Plate Thursday! I am going to pin this!! Lynn H @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading the difference between the Coney and the Chili Dog...I can appreciate the finer crumbled meat, and the thinner consistency; but being from Texas, just had to say that to us, "real" chili has no beans either...lol! This casserole does look very tasty, and I'd love to try it! Of course, I'll get the chili without beans! :)Loved this post!! DebNJoizee919@aol.com

April said...

What a novel and delicious way of eating chili dogs, without the bun! I'd love it if you would share these at my Saturday Spotlight linky party. :) http://angelshomestead.com/saturday-spotlight-2-features/

Miz Helen said...

I will just love this dish, it looks so good. Your recipe is awesome and thank you so much for sharing it with Full Plate Thursday.
Have a great weekend and come back soon!
Miz Helen

Unknown said...

Oh Girl! You know I love this and want to eat the whole casserole! So happy to get connected again. <3

Served up with Love said...

What a great recipe. This is going on my to try list asap....my kids will love this!

Unknown said...

Im making it with ground chicken.

Krista said...

That’s interesting! Hope it’s delicious!