Everyday Mom's Meals: A Party In The New Year
_____

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A Party In The New Year

When I was deciding what I would share with all of you for the first few days of 2013, I immediately thought of the new tasty appetizers I served on New Year's Eve. We always stay home and have a family night with a big spread of  "nibbly bits" as Alex calls them, play games, watch movies, and enjoy ringing in the new year together. But then I had second thoughts because I figured with the holidays being over, the need for new appetizer recipes might not be as great as it was a few weeks ago. And then I remembered one, wonderful word. FOOTBALL!! We've got college football bowl games for the rest of this week, and of course the BCS Championship game next Monday night! (Have I mentioned my Notre Dame Fighting Irish are playing in that one???!!!) Plus, it will only be about a month until people around the world gather for the biggest game in professional sports...The Superbowl! So, why not keep the appetizers coming, and have a leg up on all the football parties many of us be attending and/or hosting. So today, tomorrow and Friday that is exactly what you will find on EMM~ appetizers we love and ones that might just have to become favorites in your home too.

First up, a delicious twist on shrimp cocktail that I've actually made before but never blogged. When I first saw Ina Garten (aka Barefoot Contessa) make this, I was shocked at how simple it is, but knew the method would add intense flavor and give one of our favorites a boost. Your guests will love this new version of something every party table always has!

Roasted Shrimp Cocktail 
2 lbs. (12/15 count) shrimp, deveined, tail on
1 TBS olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Cocktail Sauce
1/2 c. chili sauce
1/2 c. ketchup
3 TBS horseradish
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. hot sauce, optional

Preheat oven to 400. Arrange shrimp in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 8-10 minutes until pink and firm. Set aside to cool. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients for sauce. Mix well. Chill until serving.




Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Jan. 3, 2013
Shared on The Country Cook Jan. 4, 2013


2013 Superbowl and Chili


From Food Network

5 comments:

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Shrimp cocktail is one of the greatest appetizers around. Classic.

Unknown said...

Oh my! This version does sound wonderful! Every year, Mr. Pete hosts a huge football party for the main event. This year, our great city of New Orleans will be hosting the Superbowl; so I'm sure we'll be highly involved. Problem is, my guests arrive each year to the same ol' foodie snacks. Thanks to you, I can now switch up the menu!

Miz Helen said...

I love this recipe, it will be a favorite here. Hope you are having a great weekend and thanks for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

CEK said...

Good morning! I have featured this recipe on my blog for my weekly seafood round-up and have also linked this recipe to your original post so that my readers will be forwarded to your site. Thank you for allowing me to share and have a wonderful weekend. Here is the link: http://carriesexperimentalkitchen.blogspot.com/2013/01/seafood-frenzy-friday-week-46.html

Sharon said...

Sounds like it will be my new way to cook shrimp. This sauce recipe is exactly how my Mother made hers. Everyone raved about her sauce.