Everyday Mom's Meals: Well, It Sounded Like A Good Idea
_____

Monday, January 7, 2013

Well, It Sounded Like A Good Idea

So how many of you have extra fresh cranberries laying around after the holidays? I did, and I thought for sure I knew exactly how I was going to use them. In fact, the whole reason for wanting to try this recipe was because I anticipated such a scenario. And I would love to tell you that if you do indeed have extra cranberries in your fridge, this would be the perfect recipe for them; but alas, I can not. Let me explain. When I went looking for a recipe for me to have my first attempt at making scones, I found exactly what I was looking for at Taste of Home. I downloaded it, saved it and then forgot about it for about two weeks. The holiday rush set in, we had a big family wedding, and I truly never thought about it again until New Year's Day when I was ready to bake them. That's when I discovered my mistake. Um, this recipe calls for dried cranberries, not fresh. Oops! I guess that's why it's a good idea to actually double check something before you attempt to bake it. Honestly I don't even remember reading dried the first time, so I'm assuming I was once again speed reading (I do that a lot) and missed it. Oh well, luckily I always have dried on hand too, plus I did get to use something leftover from the holidays...one orange.

Now I have never been the biggest scone fan. The few I've had in the past were dry and almost flavorless. But these are bursting with orange and cranberry flavor, plus moist and delicious! The 3 of us had to force each other to stop at one after they came out of the oven. Warm with a little butter spread on top...oh my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Sometimes the best laid plans end up taking a turn in the other direction, but when they still result in a yummy sweet treat, who really cares?

Orange Cranberry Scones From Taste of Home
2 c. flour
10 tsp. sugar, divided
1 TBS orange zest, grated
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/3 c. cold butter
1 c. dried cranberries
1/4 c. orange juice
1/4 c. half and half
1 egg
1 TBS milk

Preheat oven to 400. In a large bowl, combine flour, 7 tsp. sugar, orange zest, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine cranberries, orange juice, cream and egg. Add to flour mixture and stir until a soft dough forms. On a floured surface gently knead 6-8 times. Pat dough into an 8-inch circle. Cut into 10 wedges. Separate wedges and place on ungreased baking sheet Brush with milk and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned.


Shared on Make Ahead Meals Jan. 7, 2013
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Jan. 8, 2013
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Jan. 9, 2013
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Jan. 10, 2013
Shared on The Country Cook Jan. 11, 2013

Pin It

2 comments:

Miz Helen said...

Krista,
We will just love these scones, they look delicious. Thank you so much for celebrating TWO YEARS with FULL PLATE THURSDAY, I appreciate your visit!
Come Back Soon
Miz Helen

Amy said...

I made these yesterday and just have to tell you my family loved them!! My 5 year old daughter said they were better than candy corn! :)