Everyday Mom's Meals: Really?
_____

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Really?

I have had this dish a thousand times. I always get so happy when I see it at graduation parties, bridal or baby showers, and wedding receptions. But honest to goodness, I had never made it until this week. And even more so, I had no idea how easy and truly uncomplicated it was! I think because it was something I enjoyed long before I became more proficient in the kitchen, it was filed in my brain under "Eat only when others prepare." This can be made with so many different veggies, you can truly make it your own but adding and subtracting those you enjoy the most. And to be honest, appetizer or not, I can totally eat this as a light lunch! In fact I went to a baby shower/luncheon recently where the entire meal was planned around this dish, making it the "main staple" of the meal; and it worked perfectly! It's also a fantastic make ahead dish too. I actually prepared the crust earlier in the day, and after cooling, covered it and set it on the counter top until I was ready to finish. Plus, you can make the sauce, and chop the veggies ahead of time too, so when your party guests are arriving, it's simply assemble and eat. I'm so happy I finally made this for myself, because I guarantee I will be many, many, many more times in the future!

Veggie Pizza
2 (8 count) cans crescent rolls
8 oz. whipped cream cheese
1/2 c. sour cream
2 tsp dill weed
1/8 tsp garlic powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 small cucumber, peeled and diced
1 small head of broccoli, florets chopped
2 small carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 medium green pepper, seeded and diced

Preheat oven to 375. Remove crescent rolls and separate into rectangles. Place on ungreased 15x10 baking sheet and using your fingers, push together seams up sides and edges forming crust. Bake for 13-17 minutes until golden brown. Set aside to cool for 30 minutes. In a medium bowl combine cream cheese, sour cream, dill, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine. Chill until ready to use. When crust is cool, spread evenly with cream cheese sauce. Top with chopped veggies. Place in refrigerator for 1 hour before serving. Cut into small squares to serve.


Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Jan. 3, 2013
Shared on The Country Cook Jan. 4, 2013

3 comments:

Jessica Nunemaker said...

I thought the same thing you did! I love this stuff--but only have it when someone else brings it! :)

I should really make this. You've inspired me!

Krista said...

That's great!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Krista,
I love this dish and always enjoy it at the parties. Hope you are having a great weekend and thanks for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen